Fig Leaf Gourd, Chilacayota, Shark Fin Melon

I will disclose that I have been working intensively on the Cucurbita ficifolia article on Wikipedia in anticipation of growing it next year for the first time. The text I found a few weeks ago was not inspiring my confidence, so I have checked the citations and added several new ones.

To the best of my knowledge, the article reflects the state of consensus in botany and ethobotany, but I would be glad to improve the article as long as there are citations that meet the guidelines. I have gotten some peer review on my work but not from folks with firsthand knowledge of the species.

:test_tube: :test_tube: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern:

I have periods of extensive “down time” due to medical issues, and I have lately gotten deep into checking and updating several of the squash and pumpkin articles. If anyone else edits Wikipedia or would like to learn how, please feel free to join the fun. For example, there is a lot of updating still to do for the plant species articles across Wikipedia to catch up with changes in biosystematics/taxonomy due to new molecular and genetic testing for plants.

I will derail this discussion no further, but I was a little proud to see the ficifolia article being used as a reference.

4 Likes