Survival garden southern Finland, no-dig, no watering, heavy mulch

Voles can be terribly destructive especially when predators are absent. I would think about how to attract foxes and owls. Nesting habitat is very much the limiting factor for owls. Provide that and they will come. They prey heavily on voles especially during nesting season. Perhaps you could install nesting boxes tailored to whatever owl species are native to your area. And leave the trees they like to nest in. Humans tend to want to “clean up” the forest too much and remove vital habitat in the process.

1 Like

It’s meadow right outside the plot. If you look at the overview picture, you can see white and purple flowers all over. They are also in parsnip and carrot flowers on the plot. I didn’t mean that pollinators would be a problem, but at first you might not even have more than one of each flower open making more based on luck whether pollinators will visit them in the right order. I would also prefer more cross pollination if there are a few males open. Before there are a punch of males open, it might be more likely that they are selfed if those are available or pollinated with one male that is the closest.

It’s not my land so I can’t do whatever I want. There are predators present certainly as well as a cat from neighboring house visits the plot frequently. Did see some carnivore droppings on the plot as well, but I’m not experienced enough to say more than it was something that had had meat based diet. I have thought about having nesting sites for predatory birds, but that is not for this year. Have to see how it goes and make corrections for next year.

2 Likes

A thing i like to do when i have the time and energy, is to dig swales to bring rain water into my garden. Then, over time i fill in the swales with leaves and other organic matter. Worms then aerate the soil beneath so that when it rains a lot, the ground doesn’t get waterlogged.

1 Like

Growth is starting to pick up, at least on those plants that haven’t been completely stressed out by the first 6-7 weeks of their life. Those are a lost cause. I try to cheer on those that still have a change. It rained a bit more over the week. Last time I didn’t look under the mulch, but this time I looked how it looks and it’s clearly moist in most places. Few places the ground might be someway different that it doesn’t hold or show moisture as well. Not sure why, but it doesn’t seem to be reason why some areas are barren (were sowings failed) as most of those had moist ground now. I suspect those areas might have been because of some very tough weeds. In many cases genetics are probably big reason for why some made it better than others. It was a tough ride. Now plants have moisture and weather is looking warm to hot (over +25C/77F is considered hot here) atleast until end of the month.

Maximas are starting to vine. There are about half a dozen of better plants that have started to vine. It shouldn’t be too long before they have female flowers too. That doesn’t leave many days to spare, but should be enough for at least these better plants to make fruits. Others are happy to contribute pollen it seems.

First summer squash flowered day or two ago and it looks like several of the other plants have had forced flowering with males to make it likely that it got pollinated. Another matter is if plant feels like holding the fruit until maturity. There is still time even if it doesn’t. Others aren’t too close to flowering. Only two plants had tiny female flowers showing, but there are total of around 10 plants that look like they might make it just in time. Others are more than happy to contribute pollen as well.

One of the better sweetcorn is tasseling, although it’s tassel is faulty. At least one other had tassel barely showing. Should be just in time to make cobs and ripen seeds.

Moschatas are also vining and the growth has really improved. There are at least 10 of better plants, but can’t say if they have time to make fruits within average time they have left. If I’m little fortunate they should have and definetely can contribute pollen to my back-up plan.

Cucumbers are probably the most improved, but they also had the most to improve. Maybe it was my watering before rains that gave them little head start to good growing conditions. Also moschata seems like it has improved more relative to what they looked before. Cucumbers have first males open. Don’t see any females, but should make them just in time. These 2 plants are clearly the best and should have just enough time to make some fruits. Other better looking plants might need little help with the weather, but could atleast contribute pollen.

1 Like

I was little too optimistic with my estimations last month. Besides beans and peas, only summer squash and sweetcorn look to make it to flower early enough to have a good change to make seeds. Sweetcorn is maybe more likely of those two. Summer squash still needs to hold fruits. First fruit in the fastest didn’t hold as expected. Plant was too small and conditions too rough, but now there is second fruit flowering and other plants are also starting to make females. As a back up I’m transfering some pollen to my little brothers summer squashes.

Fastest sweetcorn is making silks. Unfortunately it had a faulty tassel that didn’t make pollen, but by some luck one yukon gold (picture below) had made tassel dispite looking really miserable and only being some 40cm high with the tassel. I was able to collect some pollen and crosspollinate, which was my plan all along. That first cob might not have many seeds, but all should be crosses unless others that have tassels coming start making pollen in time. Should have enough time to get some more cobs.

Maximas have grown quite a bit. Still no signs of female flowers and it might still take some time. I’m still not loosing hope, but as a back up I’ll try to transfer some pollen to my brothers plants. He doesn’t have many plants, but if I could pollinate even one fruit that would be quite a bit of seeds that have gone some adaption.

First moschata is at least making males. Females in my other plot still aren’t open, but there are some that will open in a few days, likely just in time to make ripe seeds.

Some cucumbers look really fresh considering what they looked a month ago. Still no females, but they can’t be too far away. Whether they have enough time to mature fruits is another matter.

Favas are looking a bit rough, but at least they are making seeds.

Same with peas. Lot’s of different kind of pods.

2 Likes

Finally fruits! Plot is sligtly overrun by grass, but otherwise not that many weeds. Just cut some hay and weeds to add to the mulch later. This time I really try to overdo it and also cover paths to supress weeds futher and hold the moisture better.

Best summer squashes are all growing fruit. Fastest and biggest plant needed a second try, but now it’s already making another female flower. Not sure if it has the energy to grow 2 fruits for seed. Leaving one might be better, but I just don’t dare to remove it unless it looks bad just to have a back-up. Hopefully the other 3 can hold the fruits on the first try as there isn’t days to waste for making seeds. All 4 plants are from the same seeds, but have nice variance in the fruit colour and leaves.

Some of the little struggling plants are trying to make fruits. Remains to be seen if they have the power to grow them.

Some struggle too much to make fruits for seed. Probably atleast some have donated pollen.

First maxima has a female flower ready to open in 2-3 days. It’s cutting it tight, but it’s very likely to have at least close to month before the first frost which should be enough. I’ll try to manually pollinate it to make it a mix of all the best plants that I have as others are likely to be too late.

A couple of plants are showing small female flowers, but those might take a week to open. Then it’s more like 50/50 that they have time to make ripe seeds as opposed 90% change that they make ripe seeds if they open now.

So far only one proper silk in sweet corn (stunted yukon gold is also trying really hard), but more tassels are open giving pollen and more silks should come in the next few days. Probably just in time to make ripe seeds. I have been wondering why this end is doing so much better than others and one possible explanation is that those are from my little experiment of sowing on bare ground and slightly neglecting them last year. I can’t be sure, but that’s about how long area I sowed with them and if I’m not mistaken it was right in this end of this line. Interesting to see if next year I can get more consistant results with these seeds.

One moschata is barely showing the first female flower. Might be too late for this season, but it’s good to know it’s not that far off. Back-up plan is also a bit late, but a couple of flowers should open in the next few days and if I can just find pollen from this plot I should be able to save some of the adaptions.

Cucumbers have had their first female flowers open and more is just about to open. Looks a lot more promising that just a few days ago. Several plants might make fruits just in time for seeds to ripen. Some are little more stunted, but they still try really hard to make fruits.

One a little stunted plant trying to make a fruit.

1 Like

I was thinking today was the day it opens and it did. Workers were already hard at work, but I helped them a bit by pollinating it with 5-6 other best plants to make it as diverse of mix as possible, but skewing towards the best plant. Now hopefully it will develop.

Collected first parsnip seeds that were looking dry. Already got lots and still gonna get lots more.

2 Likes

Grass is taking over the plot and there isn’t much I can do at this point. It does look like the mulch has worked and on heavily mulched spots there aren’t much grass or other weeds. Problem is that last year I didn’t have enough and there is no real cover on the paths and side of the bed is also more thinly mulched. Also the sowing spots are mostly without mulch even if they don’t have plants growing. This year I’m trying to overdo mulch as much as I can and have been cutting a lot of hayI’ll soon remove all unproducing plants that don’t have time to make seeds or even something to eat and start cutting grass on preparation to mulching it. Hopefully I can slowly suffocate those weeds, but also feed and build up the soil. Still a few weeks I can proberly do that, except for a few spots that didn’t do very well and have some tougher weeds. Those will get especially thick layer of mulch. I’ll grow potatoes, and carrots for seed, if i get some of those, next year. Possible some peas or anything that is tough.

Some maxima fruits. With the current weather forecast, also the next 2 to pollinate have a good chance ripen seeds along the first to pollinate that is just over 10 days from pollination. Not going to be big fruits, but that was to be expected with stunted growth. If they make decent amount of seeds I’m happy. Also another 4 have just been pollinated. Those have a much better prognosis this year than on a average year. Unlike I planned, I’m going to put on cloth for cover. Just in case there is some early frost. Those might happen even if it’s warm. I’m also considering that I should water them as all the selection has been done. It’s getting back to drought conditions as it has not rained much since the early month. Today and tomorrow are some rains, but might not get a lot.

The first moschata is making fruit, 2 actually. I don’t know if it’s a trait or some random growth, but it has 2 vines that started about the same time. Would be really nice as there isn’t really time to wait for them to grow more vines to make more fruits. This looks like nepalise moschata I had last year, but fruit is different colour. Strongly spotted fruits are common in my main population. There is also another that is just opening it’s first female flower, but besides that there aren’t any fruits. As a back up I pollinated 4 fruits on my main plot with flowers from this plot, but it was a bit hard finding those flowers. Once it started raining, also male flowers were but on hold over growth. As with maximas, I’m going to cover these few plants with cloth and possibly try to put black paper mulch under to give them as good of a chance to ripen seeds as I can. I really want the seeds from the first two fruits.

Cucumber, at least some of them, are looking quite lush.

Some fruits are somewhere in there. I don’t know how many, but could find atleast a few bigger ones. One just about eating size that I had previously missed and almost missed this time also.

The 4 best summer squash are growing their seed fruit nicely, but at this poin don’t have enough water to develop secondary fruits. Might want to water them to get some harvest/taste test out of them.

Many of the smaller plants are also making fruits, although not as big and at least one was making a pointy fruit that I removed to eat before it fully spoils. Any seeds from these would be nice for the variance. This year I didn’t have semi-vining type that I really like and need to dig that out from somewhere.

2 Likes