Comparing my garden to my neighbor's.. don't do this!

[Jen Young] 2022-10-13T07:00:00Z
Comparing my garden to my neighbor’s… don’t do this!
This year’s gardening projects kinda felt like a failure. I looked two houses down and my friend’s sunflowers were taller than her house. Mine never grew. Her pepper plants were as wide and tall as I am tall, full of peppers. Ours are paltry in comparison. Her other gardening space was overflowing with luscious looking gourds, peas, greens… so many things.

And my yard… well my tomato project is relatively successful. I planted numerous varieties, and have about a dozen clear varieties growing. About half of which are tasty, produced well, didn’t get demolished by all the Japanese beetles, and weren’t overcome with blossom end rot or egregious cracking. One variety is incredibly prolific, Red Currant Cherry, but is so annoying to harvest because they’re all the size of peas. (If anyone wants some of this seed, tell me. Otherwise, it’s not getting saved.) My black cherry tomatoes were also prolific, taste better, and look better. Win.

I had about 5 corn plants out of… maybe 50? actually grow and produce something. Mind you, I’m not the kind of gardener who prepares the beds and does all the nice things for the plants. There’s a sunny, west hillside by my house that I planted a bunch of it in between old, patchy grass, ragweed, and pokeberry. Trimmed down around it a few times, but it had to get tall enough for me to see amidst its grassy friends before I hacked away. Of the five corn plants, maybe 2 got bigger than two feet tall. Sad. I look over at the corn my friend planted in the garden area next to my yard and hers are over 8ft tall. /sigh. Was feeling pretty meh about it all.

But then on the call yesterday when Joseph mentioned that it took him years to get viable seed from a project… well, dang. That was actually encouraging. My corn looks deformed and not very palatable, but it actually made seed in the first year with so few inputs - I soaked it, I planted it, I chopped down the weeds once or twice… a different neighbor “mowed it for me” when it was all first starting growing… - but otherwise, it struggled itself into existence.

My neighbor down the street? She piles on lots of compost, manure, tends it daily, traps bugs, fights off wood chucks, waters it regularly… lots of inputs. And she has a beautiful garden for it! But it’s comparing two completely different styles of gardening (and intentions for the result) and expecting the same outcome, which isn’t realistic and sets myself up for disappointment in the now. I have to remind myself I’m growing for the long term - years from now when I can plant seeds and let them do their thing without me fussing over them. I may not have reached my #lifegoal of producing 90% of my own produce this year, but there’s still a lot of life left to achieve that one. :slight_smile:

Our Bloody Butcher harvest…

Our bean harvest can feed the whole village all winter! :joy:

3 Likes

I got plenty of bigish, fullish ears of corn, but my favorite ones are often little misshapen things with patches where no pollen reached. They seem to have more character. I’d be excited for those big purple tooth-like kernels in your top picture.

[Jen Y]
This is my first year growing corn all the way to a cob, so I was hoping for your big, full cobs. :sweat_smile: Your little cutie cobs have gorgeous colors on them! Glass gems?

[Christopher W]
That’s one of the varieties that went into the grex, yeah.

2 Likes

[Debbie A]
Hey, Jen, thank you for posting about your garden. It’s great to have your perspective as a low-input gardener. A good reminder to keep the long term goals in mind. I’m looking forward to seeing how your corn and beans do next year!

[Jen Y]
Me too! And I’ll be stressing them out even more with a shorter growing season. Poor things. :sweat_smile: Time to build a walipini!

[Debbie A]
I had to look up ‘walipini’. Cool. A lot of digging though! It reminded me of this article on growing citrus in trenches: Fruit Trenches: Cultivating Subtropical Plants in Freezing Temperatures - LOW-TECH MAGAZINE

[Holly S]
Hi Jen, thank you for posting about your journey this season. I must admit I have been feeling a little bit similar, a touch of disappointment that a lot of my crops failed. And I agree, it was comforting to hear how long it took Joseph to establish some of his crops. I work at a commercial market garden and it’s been hard to look at all the well tended higher input crops doing so well and looking so good, and remaining ‘hands off’ with my crops in my little patch the field, and also not be a little sad when things haven’t done so well. But, I have got more beans than I started with (an unexpected bonus), a lot of tomato seeds and some unexpected peas that initially got eaten by deer but seem to have pulled through and produced a fair amount of seed (well, enough to grow out again next year!). I totally lost all of my squash, largely due to no irrigation and an extremely hot summer here, but luckily by chance some of the same grex were growing in the market garden that didn’t have any other Maxima nearby so I’m hoping to save some seed from those, they had a much more nurtured life than mine in the field so not properly ‘adapted’, but hey ho! Keep going with all your projects, and I hope your corn and beans thrive next year :slight_smile:

[Jen Y]
Oh gosh yeah, I imagine looking at a commercial market garden vs an early landrace garden would be hard. Probably very similar to our situation here.

I’m glad to hear your beans and peas did so well! I’m hoping some of our gourds pull through. It’s been a hot, dry (no rain, plenty of humidity) summer here. If things exist this year, I’m hoping they do better in a milder year. Lots of hard, clay soil here too. Hopefully your Maximas produce a lot of seed to grow out next year!

[Ray S]
Great post, and timely too. Our spring is underway: cold, slugs everywhere, ground so sodden you leave footprints. First lot of peas sown completely lost to slugs and wet soil. Spinach seed crop ditto. It’s very demoralising. It seems early losses are inevitable.

[Jen Y]
That sounds a lot like my spring, except my peas never came up! Rolly polly bugs ate so many of my starts and tender plants. :frowning:

This year was my first year landrace gardening, which Joseph has warned is the hardest year. I’ve felt the same about friends or co-workers plants but they also use more inputs than I do. Adaptation takes a while as does finding something in the diversity and increasing its numbers, and I think we need to have believe in what we’re doing and be patient. One day you will have large plants too, without the inputs.