Coriander landrace

I’m only in the grex stage, slowly mixing corianders. But this popped up. A purple one! Who gave me this?
It bas a great taste, but had me spitting for 10 minutes because i worried it was poison Hemlock. Which i doubt it is, but i’d like to make sure. Anybody know what poison Hemlock tastes like?

2 Likes

I’ve heard poison hemlock tastes fine. The leaves and stems on your plant look like coriander, not hemlock to me but I’m no expert. I would consider culling it anyway. Do you want to grow a landrace that could be confused for poison hemlock? Say you trade seeds with someone who has a lot of hemlock growing nearby and they make a fatal mistake.

Neat! I always select for more color when it’s an option, so I’d definitely let it go to seed and plant them selectively.

It doesn’t look like hemlock. Find a list of identification attributes and check them - for example hollow stems, strong, musty smell of the leaves when crushed etc. However, if in doubt, cull it. Hemlock is not a plant you want in your coriander patch.

Poison hemlock foliage is more similar to carrot. The stems have purple speckles and spots. What you have is a cilantro. Mixing genetics, you may encounter unpleasant flavors on occasion. Probably not outright poison though. That would be very unlikely.

1 Like