Dolichos/lablab/hyacinth bean

Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures

I agree with the ID of the white one with the prominent white stripe as dolichos/lablab/hyacinth bean. At least the black hyacinth bean (possibly more than just that) is a very important part of Kenya’s traditional food ways called njahi. To me they are quite delightful to look at - - like many cowpeas, they are more wild-looking to my eyes than most common beans.

I didn’t know what Janna shared about other parts of the plant being edible - - I actually assumed based on the apparent seed toxicity that they weren’t. This is great to learn.

I believe the advice to boil multiple times because of the cyanogenic glucosides is the rule of thumb according to most of the internet that didn’t grow up eating it. It may be the only safe way to eat it.

I won’t say that’s incorrect, nor am I suggesting anybody do anything different. Merely sharing my experience that I didn’t do it the one time so far I’ve prepared njahi and I felt great afterwards. Not “too great” either - - I understand euphoria and improved digestion can be signs of mild cyanide poisoning. Which is an interesting topic by itself.

I sprouted them first, in case it matters.

I’d like to ask of some Kenyan grandmothers who still make this how they prepare the beans - - that seems likely to me to be one of the best standards for safe preparation.

1 Like