Ginger

most varieties of these species are differing on flavors but there is potential to be explored:
Roscoea purpurea Cold hardy to USDA zone 5b
Zingiber mioga Cold hardy to Zone 6
Hedychium sp Cold Hardy to zone 7b
Zingiber officinale USDA Hardiness Zones 9 -12

1 Like

Worth pointing out that intergeneric ginger hybrids are known. Pollen is highly perishable so lining up flowering times is the main barrier.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that for the sake of Hawaii, but it’s neat to know that that germplasm exists!

I seem to recall having heard that Musa velutina is an invasive weed in Hawaii (I think it was Hawaii?), too. It’s a seeded banana species that’s very pretty and apparently tastes decent.

I planted wild ginger in my woods. I’ve never tasted it or seen it go to seed. Supposedly it’s unrelated to domesticated ginger. It’s slightly toxic but can be used medicinally.

More information:

1 Like

That would be awesome! Has anyone been working on that breeding project already, and made some headway? If so, standing on the shoulders of giants (by using their populations as a starting point) is always a great option. :smiley:

Oh gosh. Now I need to find where this plant is going in my yard… Thanks, Ray. :joy:

Oooooh, I want one! The flowers are beautiful, they taste sweet, and they’d probably do well here without any trouble!

This website even has it in stock right now:

I can’t justify the price right now . . . but boy, will I keep my eye out for this in the future.

This website mentions a few more cold hardy ginger species:

. . . Want them all . . .

2 Likes