Growing Mushrooms

We are building our framework for mushroom beds to inoculate with spores come spring. What experience is out there for growing and sharing? Are you growing mushrooms? I’d like to hear your experiences.
2022-12-10T07:00:00Z

Hugo M
Mycélium just keeps running. Most sporekids well fitted for human consomption are totally moddycoddled. In spacesuits in a stream of stérile air inoculated etc.

Why? Because wild spores surrounding us will always win out from domesticated mycélium.
Excellent candidate for some landracing i’d say.

I’vé grown some oysters and got really exited of Red Wine cap mushrooms which i grow in my veggiebeds. They’re the only ones i know of outcompeting local mycelia and i would argue therefore be a good startingpoint to landrace.

I have not thought of importing differing kits. I just stick with the one that worked. Because it worked i guess.

After three years i still harvest them and apparently they are of the mycorrhizal kind, which support plants.

I am reading up a in “teaming with fungi.”

I’ll be following this thread. There are some interesting threads on permies about this. I’ve written there too about how i started some years ago.

Holly T Hansen
Thank you. I’ll check it out too.

Kim W
Would be happy to grow mushrooms. Its a challenge four our climate, however my food forest canopy is established and going into a direction of a niche that could support edible fungi.

Alma N
I’ve grows oyster mushrooms indoors and wine caps outside. They both did good on straw, and chopped prunings from pear and maple. I did some stovetop pasteurizing for the oysters. I used sawdust spawn for both. When I have land I will definitely try to get both naturalized and maybe other kinds. I would love to try to hybridize my domestic oyster mushrooms with wild oysters, but mating spores would require a sterile space and lab equipment.

Masha Z
Oysters, winecaps and shiitake are all easy (and fun) to grow. Shiitake do better in logs, while oysters and winecaps can be grown in straw or wood chips. I don’t think it’s really a breeding project, though, in the sense that you’re not likely to get anything other than what you started with.

1 Like

I’ve put in winecaps, two kinds of oysters, and some shiitake this year. I also have some bear’s head and lion’s mane spawn waiting for me to fell a couple conifers. This is also a good landscape for chaga but I have no birch to experiment with. I consider it less of a landracing project than a permaculture project; I definitely don’t know anything about sexual reproduction in mushrooms.

1 Like