Harvest Photos

@Tanja: I had no idea there was a green-fleshed butternut squash! What is it called? How do I find seed? An internet search did not yield any results. I’d be very open to trading landrace seed from my collection, to try some of those! =)

2 Likes

Broad bean (fava bean) harvest: we sowed a mix of several cultivars, as many as we had at the time. We ended up with about 7 kg (just under 15.5 lbs).

10 Likes

Those are beautiful! How big was your plot?

We planted out 2 beds, each roughly 10m x 1m, 3 rows across each bed. About half of one bed perished in a very long dry spell. I can’t remember whether they got watered or not. I don’t think so.

2 Likes

The effect of a year of work with winter squash - a representative sample of seeds from 2022, which are the beginning of my local landrace. Although the seeds are different, they all come from plants that a/ sprouted, b/ grew without nannies, c/ produced fruit, d/ taste of the fruit is very good or outstanding, e/ contains a lot of carotene.
I can’t wait to plant these seeds in 2023.

8 Likes

The first melon. The aroma was divine, the flavour very ordinary. However, the plant produced ripe fruit in less than 3 months so I’m more than happy to keep its seeds as part of the landrace. In fact, in this the first year I’ll keep all seeds produced, regardless of flavour.

Edit: processed another two for seeds today. Both had excellent flesh to seed cavity ratio (lots of flesh and small seed cavity). One of the two had superb flavour. I’m thinking this one will make up a good percentage of next season’s melon sowings.

12 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Strawberries

Beautiful melon! And yeah, fast production is definitely a good trait. The aroma sounds nice, too. It would be grand to have a divine aroma as well as an ambrosial taste!

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Tomato size