My Going To Seed story so far

Hi, Debbie,

I ordered the c maxima and c moschata seeds from Going To Seed, and added them to my own grexes. In mid-April, I started 72 triple-seed sets (1 max, 1 moschata, and 1 pepo seed in each cell of the start-tray), planted in dried moss and perlite, watered with snow-melt, and placed in a south-facing window in my living room. My rationale for starting species together is that I want the most competitive starts to prevail. My rationale for using transplants rather than direct seeding is that I have a growing season of 104-133 days.

My pepo grex is acorn and carnival (next year I plan to add “Thelma Sanders”), and my moschata grex includes some “upper ground sweet potato” squash seeds and butternut seeds. My maxima grex includes turks turban, rouge vid tempes, buttercup, and japanese kabocha seeds.

The start-sets were well up by mid-May, so I hardened them off and got them planted as soon as I was sure the frost was over. My soil prep ranged from absolute zero (poked a hole in the ground and put the start-set in it) to the very best care I could give without chemical fertilizers: I processed my own potassium from locally quarried and screened (300 mesh) potassium feldspar, catalyzed it by wrapping in aluminum foil with eggshells and hydrochloric acid, and roasting in the fire-pit, then ground it fine with bone char. This phosphate/potassium supplement was mixed with my own compost that had been building since Fall (with generous deer and rabbit poop) soaked in “nitro-p” (urine diluted with water,) perlite, broken terra cotta shards and dried moss. My rationale for the inputs I used is that I don’t yet know what the minimal productive level of care is here, so I need to learn what the absolute minimum level is. Over the next few years, I plan to find the sweet spot between total neglect and a healthy crop in the limited space I have.

Planting sites ranged from:

FULL SUN:

12-inch deep holes, the soil from which was mixed in equal parts with the above supplement, then returned to the holes. These holes were placed 3-4 ft apart. Each hole was planted with a single start-set.

Between the above holes, a single divot about 3 inches deep was made in the unprepared ground with a sharp stick. Each of these holes was planted with a start-set. My rationale for crowding is that I have limited growin space, so I want plants that can produce a crop while coping with crowded conditions.

Along a south-facing shed wall, a 3 inch mat of well-aged, urine soaked grass clippings (pulled from the bottom of my over-wintered compost) was laid on the unprepared ground, covered with 3 inches of the homemade phosphorus/potassium supplement mix, and planted with 10 start-sets.

Along the same wall, a 4-inch deep layer of compost was laid down on the unprepared ground and planted with 10 start-sets.

PARTIAL SHADE:

In a location receiving morning sun only:

Three mounds of the above supplement mix were laid 3 inches high over 3-inch deep divots, 3 ft apart. These were each planted with a start-set.

Between the above mounds, start-sets were planted in 3-inch deep divots in unprepared ground.

In a location receiving evening sun only:

Young weeds were removed from a 25 sq ft patch of otherwise unprepared ground, which was then planted with 10 start-sets.

ADDITIONAL TRIALS:

In a patch of native prairie tallgrass, 5 start-sets were planted in an old tire ringed with wire trellis in existing soil topped with 3 inches of my phosphorus/potassium supplement.

5 start-sets were planted along a west-facing concrete wall in 3 inch divots in a bed of clover.

Both start-sets and seeds were also planted in a variety of marginal locations in shallow divots in unprepared ground.

NOTES: I lost very few start-sets to transplant shock (maybe 5 or 6 out of 72), and also a few were lost among the weeds in some marginal locations. I have edible weeds (dandelion, burdock, Dames Rocket, nettle, lamb’s quarter,) medicinals (yarrow) and herbal teas (cat mint), and native plant species that I want to foster- so I don’t generally pull, chop, or otherwise curtail weeds at all, except in limited spots for initial soil preparation.

This has been our wettest Spring here in years (Hot Springs, SD) so I have only had to water once with city water. I dilute my “nitro-p” with rain water from a 50 gallon catch-barrel, at about 20 parts water.

When my squash plants in a given location reach the point of pushing blossoms, I start adding a weak (5%) solution of vinegar (acetic acid) to the nitro-p in order to neutralize the nitrogen (ammonium), leaving the phosphorus and potassium available to the plants. This also helps to lower the ph a bit by the splitting the sodium chloride in the urine to produce a very mild solution of hydrochloric acid.

Not surprisingly, a month after planting, the plants showing the best start and the earliest blossoms are in the most direct sun with the most prepared soil.

4 Likes

I remember your post back in the winter about these plans. Glad to see the update. Hopefully you will get the sweet potato type to produce.

Hi, Ken! Thank you for sharing your very detailed post. This year I’ve also started seeds in cells to get them large enough to resist snail pressure, after losing the majority of my moschata seedlings in the first round. I’ve also removed quite a few snails from the area which has helped the situation.

This has also been our wettest spring in a few years here in Utah. I’ve planted maxima and pepo seeds in an area that sounds similar to your areas with edible weeds. Unfortunately, I also have quite a bit of bindweed. I cut back these plants at the soil surface before planting the seeds. Germination has gone well, but I’m now waiting to see if the seedlings will be able to make it with all the other plants around them. I’ll be interested to see how your plants do in this situation. Looking forward to hearing from you again!

Have you tried powdered diatomaceous earth? I put it in an empty parmesan shaker and sprinkle it through the little holes. A generous sprinkle around the young seedlings should help with the snails, though you would have to reapply after any rain. Works great for slugs, and it’s natural.

No help with the bindweed, though.

2 Likes

My Going To Seed c maxima and c moschata plants at one month in the ground. A range of locations, levels of soil preparation, sun directions, weed competition, alongside c pepo acorn squash, etc. For details, see my earlier post on this topic.

squash
squash1
squash2
squash3
squash8
squash9
squash7
squash4
squash5
squash6

4 Likes

I noticed some baby grasshoppers eating a moschata leaf, but after a couple of days, they moved to the nearby weeds, which they seem to prefer.
Also had some hail, but the many holes it punched through the squash leaves don’t seem to make any difference.
The maxima plants have blossomed profusely, and pollinators are plentiful. I did some hand-pollinating for female blossoms that seemed isolated, and tried to use male blossoms from a wide variety of types.
Moschata and pepo types aren’t blooming yet. I don’t know if that’s normal, but there it is.
So far, so good.

1 Like

Wonderful! Last year was my first year trying maxima squashes, and they flowered really late. I’m trying a huge mix of varieties this year, including two desert-adapted landraces, and I’m hoping they will flower early, like my pepos always do. This gives me hope that they may!

Here are some photos of my maxima harvest, with a few pepos thrown in. I have eaten the smallest kabocha and the smallest turban (it grew in a spot with zero soil preparation, at the third node. I assumed it would be alone on the vine, so I didn’t cull it. A bit smaller than a baseball, but absolutely delicious.)
The biggest pumpkins grew in the best-prepared holes, up the trellis and out into the yard. They are most likely from a beautiful Rouge vif de’Tampes I got from a roadside stand last October. They are crossed offspring, possibly with buttercup (having small buttons at the blossom end), and one of them has some characteristic peanut-shell hashmark patterns of a Galeux. Some of them got damaged by a critter, but healed over.
Sadly, it does not appear that any of the going-to-seed maxima grex produced. The entire harvest can be attributed to seed that I collected from grocery store buttercups and kabochas, and Rouge and Turbans that I got from a roadside stand. Out of 72 mixed seed starts, I can’t be sure, but that appears to be the case.

My noschatas are all still on the vines, ripening slowly as the season winds down. I will post photos when I harvest.

For my pepos, I used only winter variety seeds that I had collected from grocery store squashes. I harvested one little Sweet Dumpling and four spaghetti squashes (one seems to be the offspring of a cross with Winter Luxury pumpkin- it has the dark stem, orangy color, and the raised texture like soft sandpaper on the peel.) The Spaghettis all grew in unprepared soil, just my “poke a hole in the dirt” method.

I will be saving all the seeds from this harvest. Even though the going-to-seed grexes may not have produced for me, it is very likely that they contributed pollen to the effort, and I am looking forward to all the delicious squash over the winter, and to next year’s pumpkin patch.

Many thanks to the community for the enlightenment and encouragement.

6 Likes

Sliced the spaghetti squash (that had the pumpkin phenotype) into 1/2 inch crescents and roasted it with potato wedges in the toaster oven. Mildly sweet, light pumpkin flavor, very nice. Caramelized well.

A couple of them grew on the vines up into the lilac bushes. I have wondered if there were more up where I couldn’t see them through the leaves.

My son brought one in he found in the middle of our gravel driveway. Looks like it fell out of the lilacs and rolled, no damage at all. It’s the biggest one so far.

Bonus squash from heaven!

2 Likes

Ken, thank you for sharing photos of your harvest. Too bad none of the going-to-seed maxima plants produced, but it will be good to see what next year’s harvest brings.

My own plants have struggled this year. I direct-seeded into low-fertility soil which did not affect germination, but the snails destroyed many of the early seedlings. I kept sowing more seeds, and also manually removed snails to reduce predation pressure. Some plants are vining well and looking healthy now, but are just starting to make fruit. With only about a month left before the first frost, very few will reach maturity. But, I should have some seeds for next year.

Although I would prefer to direct seed, I’m thinking of sowing some seeds in pots with a mixture of commercial potting soil and soil from my garden. I would do this in early spring and keep the pots outside, exposed to the elements. My hope is that the garden soil will inoculate the seed with beneficial microbes, making it easier for the plants to adjust when transplanted. Keeping them outside would let me screen for seeds that can sprout at cooler temperatures. Transplanting them once they’ve reached a good size may allow them to resist the snails better. If anyone has thoughts on this strategy, let me know. My goal is to be able to direct seed in cool low-fertility soil, but small steps may be necessary for me to get there.

I started my seeds in a mix of peat moss and perlite last spring, which worked very well indoors, with no damping off at all. I also plan to sprinkle some garden of my own garden soil on the starts next spring. We can compare notes. I think next year I will only do Moschata and Pepo starts indoors, as they were slowest to produce this year. I’ll probably direct-seed my Maximas.

My Moschatas will be coming in, probably this week, if the weather forecast is correct (we’ll see). I think the GTS Butternut seeds were most successful, as I have several very different shapes and sizes. The Musquee de Provence seeds from Bakers produced three almost identical fruits that haven’t started ripening yet, but I’m hopeful that I get some seeds and will have some Musquee ala Butternuts next year.

Funny thing- my acorns and sweet dumplings are just now beginning to produce. I hope to prolong their season by giving them some frost protection.

Happy Harvest to all, and to all a good night.

Photo of my Moschata harvest, made up of Butternuts (possibly crossed with C. Mixta or Argyrosperma) and Musquee de Provence (the big green ones that have just barely started tan). I would have left them in the garden longer, but the frost :wink:

A couple of late maximas thrown in.

Huge thanks to all, especially brother Lofthouse and the whole support-team, for the timely paradigm shift. I learned that, when planted, the natural condition of seeds is to sprout, that seedlings will live if they are fit to do so, that vines will run to the best sun exposure, and that plants will find the resources they need to reproduce.

I’m already looking forward to next season.

7 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see your last post until just now. Those are great-looking squash. Very nice variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. How did they taste? Do you have any long-keepers that you haven’t eaten yet? Do you think the one at the back left is a moschata x argyrosperma? Would love to know if it had many seeds and if they’re viable.

Thanks, Debbie,
The gourd-shapes are all random GTS moschata (not a lot of flavor, but they didn’t really take off until my maxima vines died back mid-summer.) I still have one butternut and one musquee de provence (the green ones in the photo, now a gorgeous bronze color.) Only one butternut had filled seeds, but I already threw them in my moschata grex.
I’m testing the remaining butternut and musquee for shelf-life, as my approach to gardening is aimed at self-sufficiency.
Last year I saved seed for survivability (basically saved all the seeds that filled,) so I have a ton of seeds on hand, even after getting started with this years planting. This year I plan to save for flavor, and next year for flavor and size (0ne-to-two meals max.)
Eventually, I want seeds I can throw on the ground and poke with a stick, leave until the end of the season, harvest fruits that will last the winter, and will make a couple of meals of soup or pumpkin bread.

1 Like