My landrace crops 2023 Corn/Muskmelon/Watermelon

It’s a beauty!! Very interesting color and texture. Can’t wait to see the inside! I’m growing the same muskmelon mix. Seems to be coming along well. I hope I get one as interesting looking as this one.

Well if you don’t and you’d like seeds from this one just send me a PM so I don’t forget, and I’ll send you some.

2 Likes

We tasted both the cantaloupes this morning with breakfast. The little one was bland and not good. The bigger one was sweet and the kids liked it, but it was not as sweet as I would like. I believe the heavy rains may have watered the flavor down.

The smaller one had a pickle worm on it, it hadn’t got through the rind yet, but I don’t plan on saving seeds from it because pick a worms wiped out everything last year so I’ll only be selecting melons with no pickle worm damage. I’m wondering if the early/sudden ripening is due to pickleworm damage/pressure? Seems logical considering last year.

1 Like

You might try turning the bland one into cantaloupe jam. I did that last year! If you add a bit of lemon juice (for acid, only necessary if you’re going to can it) and sugar (to make the flavor better), that can turn a thoroughly bland melon into something worth eating.

Alternatively, you could dehydrate the sweetened puree into fruit leather. That’s tasty, too!

1 Like

I might just try the dehydrated bit, I ended up just giving it to the chickens, which is usually what I do with any leftovers. We do have a nice Excalibur dehydrator though. Typically we use it for herbs like calendula and comfrey for salve making.

2 Likes

More melons. The smaller bright orange melon smells absolutely incredible. Hopefully the taste matches. 61 ears of corn drying for seed. Between 12-15 ears match my selection criteria of Large cobs, attractive & even kernals.

2 Likes

Oooh, I love melons that smell delectable.

As do I, this one has that somewhat cinnamony/nutmeg like smell to it that I’ve noticed incredible tasting cantaloupe sometimes have.

Oh, wow, that sounds amazing. My mouth’s watering!

I’m getting jealous of your melons. This has not been my year for all things curcubit.

Don’t feel bad. The pickle worms destroyed around 30 cantaloupes of mine last year. I didn’t even get to eat a single one. Mother nature owed me!

Do I even want to know what a pickle worm is? … shudder .
After seeing the picture of the hammer head worm someone posted in a different thread, I am not sure I do want to look it up!