Popcorn Year Two

I’ll start with the quick question.
Am I correct that cross pollinated corn kernels appear different on the cob? I was going off this example
In the landrace context I should pick out the odd colored kernels for next year’s planting?
I added multiple new varieties to saved Japanese Hulless Popcorn. Some matured in time, but many are still green on the plant.
I presume before the next rainstorm I should pull some stalks to let more cobs mature?

Not quite sure if there is something that determines different colours in same cob before pollination. Atleast some varieties are naturally yellow/white, but not quite sure if it’s just result of crosspollination within the variety. Those very off type looking are likely to be crosses, but you can’t say that the other’s aren’t. Some colours are more dominant than others. If there is good change for cross pollination, but cob is uniform in colour I would say it’s just one of those colours that are very dominant. Like that dark purple. I don’t remember having off colours in purple which to me suggests that it’s highly dominant.

1 Like

Some genes skip a year to show. I usually pick the most variety possible, odd kernels, regular ones, and different colors for sure.

1 Like