Radish grex 2024

Here’s a place for grow reports about the GTS radish grex.

I’ll start. I planted seeds in December in an unheated greenhouse.

Here’s a photo of a harvest on March 18th. They currently flower in the greenhouse. I love eating the flowers.

I planted about 200 row-feet of this mix a few months ago, with additions of other grexes. Intending to grow a lot of seed.

6 Likes

Direct sown end of February. 8a/8b. High germination rates. Good growth except for the white varieties in the mix which grew roots as thick as a toothpick to less than my small finger width then immediately bolted. The reds stayed and kept growing without early bolting. The early bolters I pulled once they bolted.

I found a supply of older Daikon white radish and planted them when I noticed all the early bolting whites. The reds have now flowered and have pods and a few were still flowering when the Daikon’s started to flower.

All radish have pods now and are maturing seed. I grow all first year new seed I get in my garden for seed expansion only so no selection this year other than removal of early bolters.

1 Like

Kind of amazing! Planted in a number of minimally hospitable locations here in zone 6b in April (I think) and left to fend for themselves. I have a lot of faith in this mix as I think of it as an established compacted clay landrace.

Some plants survived this treatment and have been making seed now for months undeterred, through dry periods, summer heat, and the usual onslaught of warm weather pests. I don’t know how long they will keep it up but for now they just keep making flowers! The most prolific plant seems to have beautiful pink ones

Are you selecting for root? I’m trying to breed for raddish greens. I enjoy eating radish flowers too! Specially the purple rambo radish has fully purple leaves which sounds like fun & good taste!