Richard mix, grex experiments - Bean / Fava

I just recollected one of the fava bean patches. Most of the pods are black and very dry. This patch I sow a bit later than usual, later winter.

I think I got fewer colored seeds than when I sow. The most productive ones are those geen/brown mix. I do not remember sowing so much of them.

Darker green from the plate is defenitly @polarca seed. Only 4 beans, one pod.
Small Purple fava been can be from the serendipity? 2-3 plants.
Dark red I think it came from local swap? 1-2 plants.
Bigger fava beans from the plate, look like the serendipity ones. Only 5+, one pod.

Can be that fava beans got some recessive color genes?

I think I sow some black fava beans, darker brown. But they seem to have disappeared in this patch.

4 Likes

I had the exact opposite happen this year, most of mine turned different shades of purple!
The Mallorcan fava negra def. took over. Some even were purple all the way through - cooked and peeled - which is very cool!
The first photo and video is this years harvest.
The brown plate video is more or less what I planted. The extra large green favas disappeared and became extra large purple favas. Almost all the very bright green also disappeared and became beige or mauve.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Here, it is way too early for the harvest, but from what I can see, seeds from Polarca had the highest germination rate and grow the best. We had a period of extreme drougth which was not helping. Such staples like Aquadulce Claudia look like dwarves. We will see how the harvest turns up, but they need a few more weeks for that.

1 Like

These are beautiful favas :slight_smile:
The first video cannot be seen, the message says: This video cannot be rendered because your browser does not support the codec.

2 Likes

How strange, I see it fine from mine, I use google chrome as browser. Maybe you use something different?:slight_smile:

Same here.

I can try again:)

Videos are working for me. Sometimes refreshing the browser fixed it.

Oh, did not know it, it is super cool. I used to the purple broccoli that when you cook it disappear the color.

Save some for me please.

1 Like

For me the germination in fava beans is usually pretty high. I think for my fava grex I got like 99% germination. It is difficult to assess for direct seeding, but when last year I grown in pots with clay soil, all of them germinate even with poor watering.

My local grex grow way higher, with a lot of stems, like 10+. It is not a fair comparison because I planted them way earlier. But we will see next winter.

1 Like

Absolutely! In august ill try making a mixed row of the giant purple with the black mallorcan and see if we could get some huge “purple all the way through” favas👌🏻

1 Like

I cannot direct seed, birds and woles make that impossible. I plant seedlings, so it is very easy for me to judge on germination. I had fava seeds this year from various sources, and germination differed enormously - from less than 10% to close to 100%.