Seed Germination Times

I can already tell I am going to have issues this year.

I am doing germination testing for some seeds, most of which have only been grown by me for one or two generations.

They are taking so long to sprout! I am used to my seeds popping within three days at the most, and I have accidentally selected for that to the point where I pretty much give up and stop watering anything that hasn’t come up within a week.

I have dozens of kinds of seeds that I’ll be trialing for the first time this year.

“I’m afraid you’ll just have to wait.”

“I hate waiting.”

4 Likes

I have found that to be the usual case. Bought seed germinates more slowly and often less vigorously than our own saved seed.

1 Like

Store bought Ultra Hot Chillies germinate after 2-3 weeks, some never. Seeds collected from my own super hot peppers germinate in 5 days or less. Also, seedlings grow faster. Right now, people are sowing ultra hot chillies here, they will be dealing with these until late May, on their windowsills. I start sowing my ultra hot chillies on 15th March.

4 Likes

I hadn’t even realized that’s what was happening until I read your post. I keep delaying my seed starting at home by a week or so each year for the last few years because my plants are too big come transplant time. I kept thinking my counting was off, but it’s my saved seed – ha! Duh! Just shows habitual thinking can be hard to break out of.

2 Likes

My story was exactly the same. I was substracting one week every year, until it turned out that the sweet spot under my conditions is mid March :slight_smile:

1 Like