Seed Savers Documentary/Meetup - New England

Hello everyone!

(I posted this in ‘Introductions’, but I am new to this group and thus, still figuring out how to navigate posting categories. I’m reposting here again in hopes more people see! Apologies if it is redundant.)

My name is Katherine Morrissey and I am working on a documentary project with seed savers on the eastern seaboard. I study food systems at the University of Vermont, and I am dedicating my thesis to making this documentary. My goal is to engage more people with seed saving. For much of the documentary, I hope to interview seed savers about the reasons why they save seed and how they do it. I’m seeking people to interview about why they save seed, a little about how they do it, and their relationship to seeds. Through showcasing the wonderful work that seed savers are doing, we can reach new people to carry on the tradition of saving seed for generations to come. I want to showcase both individuals and communities of seed savers/keepers/stewards.

I recently spoke with Doug Rough, who is a Going to Seed member. He introduced me to the concept and practice of landrace gardening and seed saving. Landrace gardening and seed saving is not very common in the seed media and literature I have encountered thus far. Therefore, I would love to include landrace perspectives in my documentary to introduce more people to this cool practice!

Doug helped me come up with the idea of hosting a landrace meetup and seed swap with any landrace seed savers in our area. We are located in Massachusetts. If any landrace seed savers or gardeners in the Northeast United States are interested in doing a video interview, being a part of my documentary, or sharing space and seeds with others in the landrace community, you are welcome to come! This event will be hosted near Cape Cod, MA. We are planning for it to take place on Saturday, February 24th at 10am (however, if Friday, February 23rd works for more people, we are willing to pivot!). If you would like to come, please send me a message and I will provide more details! It would be great to meet some of you and film/document this community!

Thank you all!

2 Likes

Had a nice meeting with Katherine when she visited the studio/gallery here on Cape Cod. I hope she’s able to connect with some of our other members and maybe do some zoom interviews for her documentary. We’re all so spread out that it’s a wishful thinking on my part that we could get an in-person get together but I hope that somehow Katherine is able to involve landrace ideas in her worthwhile project.

2 Likes