Sorghum grex

Does anyone have a sorghum grex to share? As well as experiences, is it worthwhile growing in terms of ease of growing, threshing and production?

It’s very easy to grow. I’ve only used it for animal feed, so no idea on threshing. Production depends on variety. Some produce big, tightly packed heads, others almost nothing. That could very easily depend on how you grow it.

1 Like

I don’t have much diversity but I do have Johnson Grass (Sorghum halpense) which is another Sorghum species that is fully Cross-Compatible with the Domesticated Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor). Both species cross naturally, so maybe that’s a good way to get more diversity?

2 Likes

I’ve put a German variety in the seed train, it seemed almost perennial where i am, the clump looked like hibernating, but probably the -15 celcius got it in the end. Malte took the seed train to Denmark.
@mare.silba has at the seed convention put some extra of @ThomasPicard in my box when cleaning up the seed stand. I’ve asked him about it, he grew some seeds he gathered from here.

Willow seems to think it’s worth growing sorghum.

2 Likes

Thank you for all for your inputs🙏🏽
I’ll be joining Malte at the event in Copehagen on sunday, so will look for the sorghum in the seed train.

I was drooling over the sorghum diversity at experimental farm network, they have quite a few african varieties. I might try my luck at ordering from them.

Great! I’ll send you a message.

1 Like