congratulations! It looks like you’ve got a spontaneous interspecific hybrid on your hands. This is the thirteenth case I’ve seen this year.
The segregation here is absolutely amazing—so many distinct variations and combinations of unique diagnostic traits.
Please make sure to save seeds from all of these fruits. I would love to get some samples from you (I can offer my own three-way hybrid, “Otin Maximoss”, in return), and I’m sure many other breeders here will be interested as well.
If you want to compare and break down the diagnostic traits together, I can write up some notes for you.
The only thing that puzzles me a bit is this particular photo—that leaf type is completely new to me, though it probably just belongs to another plant growing nearby.
Very interesting experiment! Certainly an interespecific fertile hybrid. Some years ago i planted an Cucurbita maxima x C. moschata hybrid but the result was sterile, very vigorous and disease resistant though.
By your photos i can see mixed traits between C. maxima and C. moschata (like the star shaped fruit stem from moschata vs the cylindrical corky fruit stem from maxima). The tough stem characteristic is specially useful against vine borers.
I find the plant in this photo specially interesting, it got the tough “blockish” stem from moschata but the fruit characteristics from maxima (smooth milky pastel color and cylindrical corky fruit stem). I’m very curious about the quality of the ripe fruits!
Could you send me some seeds for me to experiment with? I would be very grateful.
Probably the blue kuri had it hidden in its genes too. But i would try saving seeds from the plants with good characteristics over time, even if it’s necessary to cross them again using the pollen from a moschata or maxima.
The fact that the plant doesn’t waste time growing long vines and sets fruit right away is a huge bonus, but I probably don’t need to remind you of that .
Regarding the productivity issue—if you try to stabilize a hybrid too early, it tends to lose that amazing hybrid vigor and drive. I highly recommend bringing other hybrids into the mix and not limiting yourself by numbers. Or some stabile maxima.
My offer still stands.
Among commercial varieties, I find Autumn Crown F1 to be a very interesting, productive, and vigorous interspecific hybrid (maxima x moschata, where the mother was Crown Prince F1 and the pollen came from an unspecified butternut).
As for me, I’m certainly not ashamed of the parentage behind “Otín Maximoss” (maxima x moschata x pepo = Sweet Meat Oregon Homestead x Black Futsu x Lofthouse Winter pepo).
I can also confirm Vitor Jesus’s findings. And as I said before, there will definitely be interest in your seeds. And even more so in mine. But there’s no rush, the fruits need a long time to fully mature. So I’m not counting on the next season; the seeds will be ready in about a year or so.