Tasting bulb onions in a non destructive way

How can I taste an onion and still replant it? What is the best way so that I can regrow it for the seeds the next year? Do I just peel it and eat the outer layer?

4 Likes

Hi Dave, so I’ve replanted many times (probably like many others) by peeling away the outer layers after the onion has already started to sprout, and usually the outer layers starting to soften/spoil; by that point you may not want to “taste” the onion. So I’ve never tried this but the key is to keep the root end intact and the center intact with it since that’s where the sprout originates. We have an apple slicer at home that cuts the apple into wedges but leaves the core intact; perhaps even a non-sprouted onion (that will taste like you want/expect) could be “cored” in the same manner and then planted?

1 Like

You can cut off the side or top of an onion, and replant the bulb. It will grow from the center of the base. You could taste the outer layer(s).

6 Likes

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response. What I can conclude from your message is that I can take the first fleshy layer of an onion and taste it. My only concern is that if you remove the skin of the onion it becomes vulnerable to decease.

1 Like

Do i need to treat the side of the onion with something like wood ash?

I suppose it’s always possible that by tasting an onion that way, you’d be selecting for onions that are more disease-resistant after being tasted, which would be a good thing for your needs.

5 Likes

I cut them in ‘half’ around the ‘equator’, eat the top and plant the base. They grow easily, provided it’s their time to grow. I say ‘half’ but it’s more like two thirds top/one third bottom. You have to leave some flesh attached to the base but it dies and rots usually so if you leave too much the rot gets to the basal plate before it’s had a chance to establish.

5 Likes

Something like this? Regrowing onions

Yes though I don’t leave so much flesh attached. They do grow quickly in warm weather but that guy must be in the tropics to have the results he got in just 10 days!

1 Like

I’ve been asking my wife to leave me the center of bulb onions we buy regularly. I’ve been planting them. Hopefully I will learn something and discover value in the hybrid universe.

2 Likes