Volunteer potatoes from tps

A couple of days ago while making some cullings on my direct sown peppers I came across a potato that had clearly come from tps. By some mirracle it has survived my weeding, which to be fair is not the most accurate, but it did look like I might have at some point cut it in half. Mystery is how it got there as it’s not very near any area where potatoes were grown last year. Closest is about 5 meters where neighboring plot had potatoes, but I’m not sure if there were berries. In that case it would be from some finnish variety or otherwise common varieties. My closest were 10 meters away and there weren’t many berries. Land is tilled so that’s how it got there most likely, but it’s quite a journey for tps. I saved it to see what happens. It might only have a month before LB if it’s lucky, but I don’t need more than a little tuber. I had already thought about “making volunteers” by planting the berries in the autumn as there is just too much trouble saving the seeds, and also if there are many berries, just too many seeds to use. So what better way to use than hard selection? I’m quite certain that they have a chance to make little tubers as even the seedlings (that were same size as in the picture) had small tubers. If they don’t have time to make tubers, then they self eliminate. Speed is key in my climate. Now I have to see if I get berries to impliment my plan, but before that I’ll see how this fella fares. I’ll update once it’s time to harvest. Anyone else has experience on volunteer potatoes from tps?

6 Likes