2022-10-20T07:00:00Z

hello everybody, a few pictures of my “balcony”, this year’s grexes
first big maximas

mixta/argyrosperma

pepo

moschata

small maxima

I had many watermelons and melons too.
For the squashes I had many more but selected those I absolutely wanted to keep for maximum genetic diversity

the green/white squash are cucurbita ficifolia… and yes Hugo my squash garden was quite big this year :wink:

first year I cultivate them, so I still don’t know much about cooking, storing. and yes it is supposed to be long shelf. Once I cooked some with onions and spices, found the taste very good.
They took about 100 dats to mature, some earlier, some later. Actually it likes water and as it was non-irrigated it suffered a lot more than Maximas and Mixtas who were right next to them. They eventually produced mature fruits, about 2kg per square meter

3 Likes

Debbie A
Excellent-looking squash. Are the small green/white squash in the green basket on the left side of the mixta photo also mixtas? They look good for stuffing.

hugo morvan
Excellent! From your balcony you say? That must have been quite thé jungle.

Debbie A
I know not everyone is a fan of Wikipedia, but I found this article interesting:

It says that the seeds are fat- and protein-rich, while the flesh is low in vitamins/minerals and moderately high in carbs. The mature fruits are sweet and can be kept for several years without decomposing if kept dry! Might be good as part of an emergency stockpile?

Hope someone will share seeds in the Fukuoka grab bag.

Thomas P
first year I cultivate them, so I still don’t know much about cooking, storing. and yes it is supposed to be long shelf. Once I cooked some with onions and spices, found the taste very good.
They took about 100 dats to mature, some earlier, some later. Actually it likes water and as it was non-irrigated it suffered a lot more than Maximas and Mixtas who were right next to them. They eventually produced mature fruits, about 2kg per square meter

julie d
They are gorgeous! Wow, total winter squash envy! Do you grow the big maximas and small maximas in different areas to try to keep them separate?

Thomas P
yes I did, about 200m

I’m wondering if I will not cross the 2 grexes and then reselect for differentiation in size… could be easier next year ans more complicated after, but would other more genetic recombinations…

julie d
Merci Thomas. I see your point about allowing more crossing. As I’m growing on a tiny scale I might isolate flowers and hand pollinate small and big separately at home and have a free for all at the allotment… I’m going to need more seed storage space!

Holly M
Incredible! Beautiful squash! This is my goal for squash!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fig Leaf Gourd_ chilacayota _ Shark Fin Melon