Book Review: Gardening when it Counts (Solomon)

I posted a review of one of the most influential books in my gardening journey. It isnt focused on crop breeding, but outlines alternative, older style approaches to cultivating crops which I think could be very compatible with people breeding their own varieties.

4 Likes

Yes. I read that book ten years ago, and it was extremely helpful and influential for me. I reread it two years ago, and it was every bit as good. I highly, highly recommend it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation @ShaneS What a great book. On every page his attention to detail and mastery of his craft was apparent. That man clearly spent decades studying and practicing and wading through what didn’t work and what did. The amount of knowledge he put in there was immense.

The parts about water usage and dust mulch was transformative. I’m gonna put some of that to the test. And I’m gonna search for a better hoe and keep it sharp enough to shave with.

2 Likes

When I read Solomon’s book suddenly how people must have grown food for the last few thousand years in most climates made sense. Finding a good hoe takes work these days- the ones in Bunnings/big box stores are total trash.

That book is fantastic. It’s one of the very best gardening books I’ve read. I’ve read it twice, I own a copy, and I’d recommend it to anyone.