Book List

I’ve seen books recommended in forums, they looked interesting, I want to collect them in this thread. I’m missing a ton, put your recommendations here!

• Trees of power, Akiva Silver

• Enduring Seeds, Gary Paul Nabhan

Also I personally recommend everyone read:

• Braiding Sweetgrass, Robin Wall Kimmerer

Megan G
2022-08-16T07:00:00Z

Eating to Extinction, by Dan Saladino

In a similar vein to Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson, but focusing on seeds, food, and culture.

Dan illustrates the loss of biodiversity in our food systems, and ultimately our cultural identities, through global seed stories. Landrace varieties in local communities are a prevalent theme as well as genetic diversity. It’s a great read for those interested in food history.

1 Like

Michael M
One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka
If you have not read this book, then I highly recommend it.

[comments: unanimous agreement]

3 Likes

Healing Grounds, Liz Carlisle

Super awesome book. On my re-listen list.
healing grounds

The Dorito Effect

by Mark Schatzker
(I’m listening to it) and it has some overlap with Eating on the Wild Side. Lots of information on how we’ve bred the nutrition out of our crops, from produce to chickens. I’ll update once I’m further in, but for anyone who is into the nutrient density topic, you will enjoy this. The same author also wrote The End of Craving, but this book is more relevant to nutrition and breeding so far. https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Dorito-Effect-Audiobook/B00WVMG4BY?qid=1650722368&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=83218cca-c308-412f-bfcf-

The End of Craving,

By the same author and also a must read if you are into nutrition and obesity.

1 Like

2022-05-18T07:00:00Z

Carol Deppe Books

Breed your own vegetable varieties.
The resilient gardener.
The Tao of vegetable gardening.

3 Likes

2022-05-11T07:00:00Z

Seed Production

Navazio, John - The Organic Seed Grower - A Farmer’s Guide to Vegetable Seed Production - Chelsea Green publishing. The best book I’ve read on seed production, collection and processing, with detailed notes on how to get the best seed from most crops.

Ashworth, Suzanne - Seed to Seed - seed saving and growing techniques for vegetable gardeners - Seed Savers Exchange Inc.
This is the standard text on small garden seed saving, with great information. While we don’t really care very much about isolation distances, the very large isolation distances cited here seem to be based on broad acre commercial farming concerns rather than backyard gardening. The are probably ‘conservative best guesses’ - I’m not sure there is much published research on many of these crops.
Read less

The Seed Garden, by Lee Buttala & the Seed Savers Exchange

2 Likes

Steve Solomon’s Growing Food in Hard Times and Water Wise Gardening.

David the Good’s Free Plants for Everyone and Grocery Row Gardening.

All the other gardening books by those authors, too.

2 Likes

A book that you might find interesting, especially if you are in America.
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/buffalo/garden/garden.html

4 Likes

Thank you! I have been generally familiar with Deppe’s work but I have never read her books. They came up in the Landrace Lettuce thread as well. I don’t have access to the print books in the library, but although I could ask for an interlibrary loan, I have found all three available electronically for one-hour and 14-day loans through the Internet Archive.

2 Likes

That’s cool. I have them on my kindle.

A Small Farm Future, by Chris Smaje.

I second the suggestion of Carol Deppe’s books, and Buffalo Bird Woman’s Garden.