Bush bean project

My bush beans went better than the runners, so I got a nice harvest about a kilogram, with good diversity, similar to what I planted (unfortunately I did not take pictures before planting ).
It is the first year of promiscuity , I hope there are some hybrids that will show up next year .

My intention is to maintain and increase diversity , even with the poor producers, so I can share with other grower with different soils, climates and cultural practices.

These I have enough to share with european growers. just ask.

6 Likes

Great results and very nice picture, I will try to make a similar one for comparison :slight_smile:

1 Like

This went in

This came out.

2 Likes

hugo you are cheating ! these are runners, anen’t they ? :rofl:

Pff. I dont know! Ha!!
I grew shiny colourfull seeds up thèse.

And

And in the hoophouse too.
French people said haricot.
They’re never much of an eating crop for me unfortunately. I put them in the ground, the snails eat most, i try again, some survive and grow up. I help them a bit to climb. I water them when they have bad waterstress.
Then i end up with about the same amount after drying and deshelling.
This year i’ve ended up with more, but they’re quite boring.

1 Like

pole beans are the ones that climb, also called runner beans wereas bush beans are the small ones that do not climb. there is another thread for runner beans in the forum.
with regards to direct sowing and snail predation, I also have that so for the second series, I sowed them in pots, and transplanted them after one month, stronger to resist snails.

Bush bean and pole bean are the same species (phasealus vulgaris), just different ends of size range. Although there isn’t clear cut point where one becomes other, instead name is more discriptive. Some bush beans can have little climbing habbit. I would think that with cross pollination you might get pole bean even if both parents are bush beans. Runner bean (phasealus coccineus) is completely different species.

oh thank you Jesse, I did now that bush and climbing were both pheaseolus vulgaris but I though runner was an equivalent for climbing, not the vernacular name for coccineus.
So Hugo seems to have the three categories in his pool.

I’m not that familiar with whole bean complex and using terms cross species might happen. Often plants are called what they look like or remind of so would not be at all surprised if terms were used where they aren’t accurate. I think for beans in general correct discription for high growing would be climbing, vining or running so there might be where confusion to runner beans comes from if someone calls them running as general discription to habbit.

yep ! htis is why I like to use the latin name sometimes, just to make sure what we are talking about.

No. It’s google’s fault because i checked out what are runner beans. But the algo showed me Scarlett runner beans, which are prinsessenbonen in Dutch, my native language, but the French call them haricot. They behave like polebeans which wikipedia categorizes in the bushbean family which can crawl or stand up or swirl around poles. But … Their seeds are small. But what is small? But no but yeah but no but it’s not my fault because
I start to sound like Vicky Pollard

I used to live where there were a lot of slugs and snails, and I would cut the ends out of large gallon sized metal cans and put the can over the bean when i planted it. Next i would place a mesh onion bag over the can. This strategy would protect the plant long enough for it to grow large enough to outgrow the slugs. Then i could remove the onion bag.

2 Likes