Chickpeas

I got the Goingtoseed chickpeas. I have no idea how they grow! I think seed-buying-me got a little excited :sweat_smile:
They’ve been mentioned but not talked about in depth so I figured I’d just make a general thread for them. My internet searches so far aren’t giving me specific growing details. I’m thinking they are like beans and planted after frost danger. But I’m not sure if they need trellised or what.

Looking forward to it. This is why we need the crop wiki :slight_smile: Consider adding the your knowledge once you find it, to this

1 Like

They’re more like peas than beans. The plants can cope with a light frost. I sow them early spring, even late winter. They grow well here but there’s some pest that eats the seeds before they’re mature so harvests are minimal. We just keep planting though hoping that our adapted seeds will shake off the pest.

2 Likes

They’re similar to beans in that there are varieties that are more bushy and don’t need a trellis and some that make long vines and might need a trellis (or really sprawl on the ground). They generally like heat so I wait till the soil has warmed a little (but we also have poor drainage/high water table so it’s about the time it’s dry enough to plant anyway). In zone 5b I haven’t found pests to be an issue and the deer seem to leave them alone (as opposed to the beans which they love to snack on). Yellow jackets love them from flowering to mature stage so I’ll plant one or two by the brassicas to draw in the yellow jackets to go after the cabbage worms.

I have grown chickpeas a couple of times just for trying them. Some of them are hardy enough to be sown late autumn in Denmark and they (if the mice and birds don’t find the seeds) seem to do better than spring sown. They were more bushy, had more branches and therefore also bigger yield. For overvintering Black Kabouli did best and as dark broadbeans also do best, I imagine the dark colour makes them harder to find than light varieties. Nowadays I may grow a few just because the plants are pretty and also because our often wet autumns make the seeds sprout in the pods before they are dried down. If they are well watered during growht they have 2 seeds in a pod, if stressed I seem to find only one seed a pod.