Concluding Questions for "Landrace Gardening" Podcast

Hi Everyone

Throwing open the doors to get people’s ideas for a set of ~3 standard questions to conclude the podcast interviews with amateur plant breeders at the end of each episode.

I am looking for thought-provoking, open-ended questions that the guest could take in a lot of different directions. They could also be useful to make excerpt videos for youtube/etc to give people a taste of the guests.

Two current ideas:

1. If you could work with any species without constraints, what would you love to create?

2. What is your vision for the future of food in your community?

Let me know your suggestions.

1 Like

How about, what 3 landrace (or crop breeding) projects would you like others to take on that needs doing?

My thinking is that this could be a way for a wider audience who are already inspired to take on projects and make collaborations, to hear needs/potential that experts see but don’t have the time/resources to do themselves. So, a kind of way to extend their activity through the community.

3 Likes

How they can forge forward links with breeding projects is a great topic to bring up!

1 Like

What’s your most recent epiphany?

1 Like

I’m going with a revision of some at OSSI, amateur is out, freelance as in profitable is in. So, my question is how do we make money?

3 Likes

What have you succeeded in breeding that “they said couldn’t be done”?

2 Likes

I really like Christopher and Masha’s ideas.

What aspect of the work makes you most happy or is most rewarding?

2 Likes

What breeding project failed and why?

Are there any general breeding principles that changed how you work?

What do you think most seed savers could benefit from knowing?

2 Likes

In the past there was the “victory garden” fast forward to today and gardens need to be genetically re-made to go to the next milenium…but what foods do we eat? Eat with the seasons, eat new vegetables, let them go to seed…eat new greens that grow easily, try a new recipe, find and old cookbook from another country. Many cookbooks tell of how the vegetables were grown or gathered. So many flavors to dine on, have friends over for something they haven’t had before. Our food systems have become bland with many of the choices that are currently harvested large scale. And colors to make into lovely meals!! Red, purple and blue everything!
Grow to eat tasty, fresh created cuisine especially edible flowers!

1 Like

One question I think might work:

What message do you want to send out to people who are thinking about getting into crop breeding?

1 Like

In your opinion what do you think is more important; diversity of genetics, or quality of soil?

2 Likes