Crossing broomcorn and grain sorghum

I’m thinking about crossing sorghum and grain sorghum, for two reasons.

The first is the obvious; it would be nice to be able to eat your brooms and have them too!

The second is that broomcorn is presumably somewhat less “domesticated” than grain sorghum, and it would represent a fairly wide cross between strains within the species, giving a possibility of adaption and possibly more vigor.

I would imagine that broomcorn has lower yield, and I’ve heard that the seeds are much less palatable; selecting for light-colored seeds should make it relatively easy to recover eating quality.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, any thoughts on the harvesting or processing of sorghum? I’ve only grown broomcorn so far. I’m hearing conflicting reports on whether sorghum needs to be hulled; since sorghum from the grocery store sprouts and grows, I would guess not.

1 Like

Good idea I think, mainly because I’ve been considering doing the same thing :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve only grown a couple of sorghums. Only the popping sorghum I have threshes easily. I don’t think unhulled sorghum, although high in fibre, would be terribly palatable. I’ll be looking to cross my broom corn with the popping sorghum and selecting for white seeds, easy threshing, taller plants (my popping sorghum is only waist high at harvest) and brooms. However, if the broom part doesn’t work out at least I’ll have taller plants. More biomass is always welcome.

Well, I’d be happy to share seeds!

I’m wondering that about the sorghum. The stuff from the store grows, so it must not be hulled, right? Or can hulled seed germinated and grow properly?

I wonder if easier threshing and durable broomstraw would be at cross-purposes with one another? I am thinking of developing a rake or comb-like tool to quickly strip seeds from the broomcorn.

I’ve noticed some varieties have a hull that covers the seed more than other varieties and there seems to be variation in threshability. Like the African black milo has a dark husk that covers the white edible seed. Korjaj and coral have very free-threshing seeds. I grew one type of broomcorn once and the seeds were red with the husk. I’m not sure if this is the case with all broomcorn. I imagine you could efficiently harvest them by swinging them against the inside of a drum or barrel like with rice. I’m sure you could get whatever you want out of these two types if they cross.

This is my favorite kind of sorghum but unfortunately, this one doesn’t grow inconsistently here: Maizeña – Native-Seeds-Search
The seeds were on a loose panicle, very white, almost translucent, and very easy to thresh. Some of the tighter panicles don’t want to give up their seeds that easily.

Lowell, are you saying that in some varieties the hull falls of easily during threshing, or that the hulls on those varieties are just not as substantial?

Seed with hull can germinate and grow just fine usually.

The hull is small and separates easily from the seed, often staying attached to the plant during threshing.

I believe I have some korjaj and coral seeds I could send you. Both have great huskless seed production. The Grain Mix in Going to Seed will have 3-ish types of sorghum in it. Coral is known to take a long season and never produces seed for me until autumn or very late summer. Korjaj will produce seed for me in May/June if I plant it very early. I think the information on growing sorghum says they’re more dry-period sensitive than daylight-sensitive. May and autumn are our typical dry periods.

1 Like

Hi Lowell, I’d be happy to receive some seeds! If you’d like, I could trade for them and/or cover shipping costs.

Good to know that about the hulls; I’ve been trying to figure them out from the seeds I have on hand and the literature.

Here in Colorado, spring is our wettest time of year, from April through July, with August and September being fairly dry (and feeling a drier than the winter months due to high evapotranspiration).

Sent a pm