Cucurbita Moschata Landrace in Mississippi

Planting tomorrow as part of my plant early, plant often, and plant late strategy.

3 Likes

Glad you posted this. The weather man on TV says no more frosts here so I think I’ll join you and plant some things I have a lot of seed for. I have doubts but if the weather man is right it’ll pay off big.

I’m doing the same thing, more conservative on low quantity seeds. Also, my 10 day forecast looks safe but I don’t know. I am planting anyway for that big payoff.

Wow, when is your average last frost date? It sounds awesome to be able to plant squashes in late February!

Our average last frost date is April 15th, so I’ll probably plant my first sowing of squashes about a month from now (taking a risk in case it pays off big :grin:). I couldn’t get away with it this week. It’s supposed to hit 22 degrees Fahrenheit on Wednesday night next week!

2 Likes

Late March I think. Tradition is wait until after Easter to plant because we usually get an Easter frost and sometimes that’s on in to early April.

I don’t put much stock in trusting the weather man but hey, maybe it’s an exceptional year. I’m not gonna plant much just a couple things and if I have to replant in early April so be it.

Cool! If your last frost date is in late March, I agree it’s worth a try to sow a few things a month early. I hope it works! :+1:

Last year we had a colder than usual winter, so we got a late frost a month late . . . :disappointed: This year, though, we’ve had a warmer winter than usual, so being able to get away with planting early seems pretty likely.

I’m probably not going to bother planting cucurbits early, but I will probably sow a lot of tomato seeds a month early! :wink: In specific, the descendants of my Roma tomato plant that survived multiple light frosts at the beginning and end of the season in 2022. It was direct sown, too. So I imagine I’ll be directing sow a bunch of its seeds in March and seeing which ones grow into nice plants for me. :smiley:

1 Like

Lots of signs here point to spring. Virginia waterleaf is coming up, daylilies are coming up (though they won’t flower for a long time yet). Daffodils have been up since early or mid-January, fiddleheads are showing obvious signs of getting ready, Nanking is about to bloom. The songbirds are singing like it’s already spring and are not subdued after frosts.

I think it’s likely we’ll also plant a lot early this year.

I am enjoying a home vacation this week. Crawfish is too expensive this year. We got to show the crawfish industry they went too far with pricing and make them pay for the mistake of price gouging by not buying this year.

I am aggravated by that because I love crawfish and I established a tradition last year of burying my swamp creature variety of moschata over a bunch of crawfish shells.

I am sitting in a lawn chair in my back yard listening to the birds sing. I can smell the freshly mowed weeds and feel the sunrise coming up on the top of my forehead.

Here are some pics I just took of my moschata:

I guess I have about 40 moschata islands out there. This is so unconventional and redneck looking.

4 Likes

The vines will not grow like you expect due to hardship, but I do expect at least half of them to reach 10 feet. I will string trim around the vines and keep it as presentable as possible to show mercy to my neighbors and keep my wife happy.

2 Likes