How to grow the organization regionally and internationally?

In your spirit, dear Hugo, I’ll have to challenge you on that assumption. If what you mean is that farmers could only speak to their immediate neighbors. It might just be, that the development has been the other way.

Archeological evidence show that farmer (and gardener and forager-gardener) cultures exchanged techniques on impressively continental scales as far back as prehistory. The tendency until very recently has actually been the opposite of what I think you imply: As populations have gotten larger, our social worlds have gotten smaller, more differentiated and provincial, more limited by loyalties towards culture, class and language. This process is what anthropologists sometimes calls “schismogenesis” - societies explicitly defining themselves against each other (“those people always till the soil before planting potato, but we never till the soil” etc). Go back thousands of years and you find that places like Poverty Point in Mississippi seems to have exchanged knowledges with people as far away as Mexico, Peru and the Great Lakes to the north. Similar huge distances can be found in other places.

Perhaps a bit tangential, this point I’m making. But I think it is important to remember that people have been very capable of “globalizing” their knowledge before and that - even with the amazing capabilities of the internet - there are still today (perhaps more so) other factors at play that limit the diffusion of ideas for good or worse.

4 Likes

Mind blowing information!
I had no idea!
I spoke of what my neighbor said how it was from the time of his grandparents.
Haha. I’ll beat him around the ears with this information and tell him only the French are like that. Revenge shall be served cold.
He’ll fall about laughing probably.

3 Likes

Thank you for this. It’s only available on the most expensive custom plans (price not listed, we’re standard) but I just wrote an email to the Discourse Team to ask about how we might make this happen.

But what about this? Does discourse support multiple national languages? - support - Discourse Meta

Can somebody try changing this preference and how it works for you, or let me or @Richard know if there’s a setting to change on the admin side.

I had thought earlier when I set this up that translation could be automatic, and now I’m sorry I didn’t spend more time on it a year ago!

I checked and the settings have been enabled so that this community should detect your browser language and translate everything automatically. Not working for anybody, correct?

I will investigate later on the computer if I can find something.

1 Like

When it comes to spreading the message and converting, I have a few comments:

Some people are stubborn, some open minded, and some in between both ends. No matter what you do or say, some people won’t agree. There is no product in the world that will sway everyone. There are still some people that think the world is flat.

Second, let go of any prejudices you were taught to think about someone due to where they are from. Hollywood, the news, and the government megaphone want to cause division and noise. This runs counter to the mission of coming together.

Third, learn to separate your own thoughts from ideas that are not really yours. Then weigh your own thoughts heavier. This decoupling and self awareness is the secret sauce to the development of an independent mind.

When I talk about landrace gardening, I rely on my own thoughts, experiences, and what I believe to be 100% true. This gives me conviction when talking about it.

For example, I will talk about how saving seeds from tastier fruit gives me confidence the future will be tastier. That’s something I believe 100% about. That is why I feature this vs some other aspect about landrace gardening that I have less personal experience.

To recap this last point, there are many talking points to choose from when discussing this. I choose the points I have the most conviction about, which is more than enough material. Being convinced is the secret sauce to being convincing plus being straight up about everything.

Last point: Everyone has different values. Personally, I place high value on resiliency, taste, yield, response to low input. I will not assume that’s what others want to hear about. Taste is universally appealing so I will lead with that then ask questions to learn what else the person values.

1 Like

I do not have access to those settings.

With the changes done the users see the web on the original language of the browser. For example here are the menus in Spanish.

There are a couple of ways to translate the site to another language.

1- The easier one is with chrome browser, right click “translate to language”.

You can configure in the settings on the browser, for automatically translate to your preferred language. It is going to do that for all the sites.

2- Another option is the commented by Malte. Adding a plugin directly from the discourse shop, like “Discourse translator”. The con is that is paid.

3- A different possibility is adding a small custom code that will translate the site with the google api. Something like this:

https://wcmshelp.ucsc.edu/advanced/google-translate.html

I do not know how flexible is discourse for adding code, but small scripts it should be totally possible.
Something like this.

4- A further possibility is to add the full bar on the top of the web. Is very similar to the 3 option, but is more visible and clutter more the site. Is adding a widget, a custom code, probably on the template of the discourse site or an specific place to add code on the admin panel.

5- An alternative avenue, more complicated or time intensive is modify the discourse. Adding another theme or activate some setting to be able to modify the language of the site with a selector.
Something like this.

6- A different route that I have not contemplated yet :person_gesturing_ok:.

1 Like

Thank you! This is really thorough.
( Discorse team told me the plugin is available on the Enterprise plan when you pay $2000/month! wow).

Would it be hard to just try #4? Do you know how to do that?

Totally overkill and wastefull.

It should not be hard to try.

I have done similar stuff but not in discourse. Most likely similar.

I have used some automatic translation tools with Firefox. I wonder if most browsers have a way to do this now.

Firefox for example has relatively recently added built-in translation features. At the moment they support a handful of major world languages: Firefox Translation | Firefox Help

This built-in translation can be ‘turned on’ for a tab so it automatically translates everything you load there. I’ve used this to browse Spanish-language sites in English and it works pretty well.

For languages not supported by this feature, there are a couple of Firefox addons that integrate with Google Translate. I have one installed that adds a translate button when I select text on a page and then right-click. I see another Firefox addon that translates the whole page and looks to be able to run automtaically: TWP - Translate Web Pages – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)