Language bridges

Building on @ThomasPicard 's initiative to make a directory of seed sellers in Europe, there’s the obvious challenge of translating. Machine translations often works, but sometimes not. Thomas has added a column in the directory for people who can be of aid.

I’d like to propose collecting a list of names in this thread. Then members know who they can reach out to if they run into blocks when searching for seed sources in unknown languages. I think an overview and conversation about language barriers can also end up opening this community up to connecting with places, cultures, seeds and people that are currently not here.

Everyone’s welcome. There’s no reason to limit this list to Europe.

What languages do you speak and can be of service to the community with? Which languages do you personally miss or need someone to help you navigate? Post below and I’ll add you here for now.

Catalan
@Richard

Danish
@malterod

Dutch & Flemish
@Hugo

French
@ThomasPicard
@Hugo
@stephane_rave

German
@ChrisF

Hungarian
@polarca

Norwegian
@malterod

Polish
@WojciechG

Spanish
@Richard

Swedish
@polarca
@malterod

Turkish
@malterod (can ask friends for now)

1 Like

I’ll put two that are high on my list for languages I often get stuck with: Korean and Japanese.

I would love to hear if this community already has members that speak those languages. Or if you think if people that do who could be included here.

Some other languages I encounter less regularly but enough to have questions from time to time: Georgian, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Russian.

I can take your Hungarian queries.

I can help with Spanish and Catalan.

Do we have anyone in our community who understands some of the languages in the South Eastern European part of the EU? Specifically Bulgarian, Rumanian, possibly Albanian (outside EU)

I’m trying to find diverse seed of Blitum bonus-henricus and the native range is the Eastern mediterranean and the Caucasus. My thinking is I could get more diverse seed if I could get them from countries in the Balkan, Rumania, Bulgaria and Greece (within EU).

Of course if someone is able to get seed from Caucasus, Georgia, Armenia etc would be even better.

2 Likes

Results from the GoingtoSeed.org search bar… I thought I had red things around Bulgaria!!!

@Thulahn has a friend in Bulgaria
https://goingtoseed.discourse.group/t/serendipity-seed-swap-uk-version/1772/2?u=thomaspicard

Probably @JaneMulberry could help
https://goingtoseed.discourse.group/t/looking-for-seeds-lathyrus-tuberosus-earthnut-pea-tuberous-sweet-pea/2262/5?u=thomaspicard

Maybe @Marcela

1 Like

I will ask my neighbour, who has an amazing garden and is also knowledgeable about herbs if she knows whether there is any Blitum bonus-henricus growing locally. It’s certainly a well-known food and medicinal plant in Bulgaria, but is native to the more mountainous areas, a long way from the plains my garden is in.

1 Like

Blitum bonus-henricus is also part of our wild flora in the south west of France.
But yet as you point out there are no more varieties grown here than in your country. I think that this species has never been too domesticated and that you risk finding nothing more including further south.

On the other hand 100% agree with you that we must bring more people from the Balkans but also Greek, Turkish… who can bring us many good things with their very rich and passionate culture.

1 Like

I can help the community in the French language

1 Like