Hugo's grexes

Stephane Rave encouraged me to document my project.
So here goes.
I’m a slow landracer, been going for some years, just adding variety, no deliberate crossing so far, never found the time so far.

14 Likes

Wonderful to see your pictures Hugo. If you grow out seed from the perennial kale grex I’ve included in the seed chain, note that they will often flower a lot - it’s a feature, not a bug. They’re perennial because many of them survive and continue to live. The flower buds are some of the most delicious part of the plant. In my climate, I love to grow flowering kale.

3 Likes

Yeah In the present moment it’s nice to see your site, the evolution of your projects, then it creates the desire to follow you more and more (like a story in several episodes)…in a few years these photos will also be very useful to us to tell all the progress made together!
Personally I was first convinced of the interest of landrace gardening by the harvest photos and video of Joseph Lofthouse, who took me to read the book and then to take action.

Even failures, or work in progress are good to document by image, which will always serve to tell and show the fantastic epic of landrace gardening.
Storytelling is the key to the transition, knowing how to tell, document, make people dream to embark more and more people in this green revolution that we are initiating! :green_heart:

Small rush video could be cool to keep also in archive if one day we are joined or hooked by someone who would like to make a documentary film on the subject. Always to show where we started and where we arrived because the human brain is very bad to have a fair memory over long periods.

Glad you followed my advice for this follow Hugo, I follow mine now lol. I am working on a subject followed by my garden in the coming days :man_farmer:

3 Likes

Thanks Hugo! I’d echo Stephane’s comments on the documentation being very useful and appreciated! I learned/absorbed a lot from @JesseI 's 2023 thread. Looking forward to following along here.

1 Like

Hi Mathewwwww. Happy you’re keen. I didn’t think of that! With computers and phones and hard drives breaking, it’s good to document. Encouraging. I see some older pix from permies sometimes and i’m happy i posted them because i’d never have revisited them through the mess my photos are.

2 Likes

edit: is it normal that your update with your last photos disappeared?

1 Like

No. I pushed a wrong button I dodn’t know existed late night. Haha.

High input systems.
Straw bales mulching

Dumping manure on top

Another load of fresh manure ensuring harvest and seedsaving.

Seed trays indoors and outdoors

Cuttings place with heat wire

Bubbling aerated compost tea

I’m a terrible landracer. I try though!

3 Likes

Goumi flowering

3 Likes