My tomatoes

This topic will be me trying to post the type of thing I like to see on here. I like seeing pictures of people’s gardens and plants. I’d like to see more pictures, especially from the professional growers. Feel free to comment here. I don’t really know what I’m doing, but I’m enjoying it.

I think I’ve worked out that my main goal for now is finding or breeding a tomato that will survive until the fall frost when planted in the spring. Less important there’s a whole bunch of other traits that I have in mind that would be useful like frost survivability, anthocyanin skin (supposed to increase shelf life), heat set ability, ability to thrive in poor soil, no need to be staked, and more.

2 Likes

I think this one is from Joseph’s hummingbird mix. Not real sure. It seems to be sprawling along the ground with no main stem. I really like this.

This one here looks almost like it is trying to use some of its branches as legs to stay up off the ground. It’s from the going to seed mix from William.

This one is one of the more upright standing plants of the bunch. Especially for its height. We’ll see if that lasts much longer. From Williams going to seed mix.

This one reminds of a zucchini plant for some reason. It’s pretty open and has branches coming from the base arching upwards. From the hummingbird.

I think this is from Joseph’s improved Wild Galapagos. I didn’t label them separate from his hummingbird mix though so I’m not certain. It looks much different from anything else.

Here’s a couple of leaf shapes and colors that stood out to me from the hummingbird mix.

4 Likes

This one here is from Casey Piscura’s frost survivors Grex. It stood out from the very beginning for its vigor and I planted it in the very first spot from that lot for that reason.

It had a ton of purple in the stem which Casey says is linked to its frost survivability. I didn’t realize that until after it was in the ground. It’s hard to tell now but the stem is not the light green color the other plants are. It’s my tallest plant but not the most foliage, and won’t be my earliest. Still, I will be keeping a close eye on it.

4 Likes

Exciting topic! Thank you for starting it. I love to see pictures too. I’ve planted lots of different varieties of tomatoes. I’m just looking for yummy tomatoes that do well here. I have lots of different ones that sounded yummy and also planted many from going to seed and some I got from our seed swap. I don’t have pictures because they’re still inside - it’s too cold to put them out in our zone. Funny thing that the ones closer to the grow light are much bigger! I’ll post some pictures here someday soonish.

2 Likes

I think this is from the hummingbird mix. The stem is way more purple than that other tomato I posted. They don’t strike me as the same purple though.

Another interesting leaf shape and growth

habit.

I think most of the hummingbird tomatoes are self compatible. And I’m pretty sure all of the going to seed mix tomatoes are. I’m only basing that off of not seeing pollinators going to the flowers but the fruits are all setting. I did notice a tiny wasp looking thing today acting like it might land on a flower, so I could be wrong about that. Though it didn’t the whole time I was watching.

I did notice an entire flower cluster dropped on one hummingbird plant. If I notice that happening on another couple plants I’ll mark them down in my phone as self incompatible and I might try to pollinate them to each other.

1 Like

Turns out the one that I thought was from the hummingbird mix with a purple stem is Better than candy from wild mountain seeds. They were the smallest looking tomato plants I planted and I wrote them off as a bust. But there’s one fruit so far with purple skin which is more than I can say of some other plants.

The going to seed tomatoes, hummingbird, and wild mountain seeds tomatoes are all earlier than my commercial red hybrid ones. Those cold climates breed early stuff. I think one from the going to seed mix was the first to set fruit.

I’m not sure what will croak and die of disease. We’ve had a ton of rain lately. Time will tell.

I culled this one. Something about it didn’t look right. I thought it was catching the same thing my potatoes had about 3 feet away. I think I took that picture a day or two before I culled it.

And here’s a Better than candy that never grew.

I’m trying the Florida weave on some plants. The commercial red ones seem to fit it pretty well. The wild mountain seed ones too. But the hummingbird and the going to seed mix don’t really want to be staked. Especially the hummingbird. They’re more bushy. Fine with me I didn’t really want to stake them anyway.

1 Like

I feel this in my soul lol

1 Like

Got a few anthocyanin skin tomatoes.

If I get my act together I might try to make a cross with these to some that are known to be disease resistant. We’ll see.

I noticed a bee working over the tomato flowers today. Never seen that before so Joseph’s project has proved itself even in my garden.

A couple plants are getting purple in their leaves.

Some are getting yellow leaves. This especially the hummingbird plants. I don’t know if it’s disease or something else, maybe due to these hurricane scale rains we keep getting pounded with over and over. I don’t see much brown spots though.

I’m waiting patiently or not so patiently for the first ripe fruit. I check them everyday, but it’ll probably be a couple more weeks at least, maybe another month.