Nonspecific woody perennial landrace discussion

2022-04-13T07:00:00Z

A number of us are working on food forests/perennial structures. I have a leaning towards hard selection from seedlings, and I’m focusing on a couple fruits particularly to start. What woody perennials are you looking into? How are you approaching the concept of landrace?

-I’m getting some pawpaw seeds from other Canadian growers, so obviously any seed they produce has been able to fruit in Canada. I’m expecting seven years from planting to fruit, and then a couple more years to evaluate, but I’m fully intending to plant seed from these.

-I’m ALSO getting known short-season grafted pawpaws which should fruit within 2-3 years, and obviously any seed from them should be even more well adapted to my spot than the general Canadian seed.

-I’m planting cross-pollinated seed from Steven Edholm and from a more local friend, both have been crossing and collecting apples for several years and has a pretty big apple library built up. The seeds are likely to have a wider breadth of genetics than any others I can source.

-I’m looking for the local native crabapple to use for rootstock (thanks @joseph zarr
for the idea!) and specifically foraging seeds and suckers for it from within a small radius, because it should be well adapted to the area. After all, it’s been there forever!

-I’m stealing fruits from local friends and planting their seeds and/or taking cuttings (currants particularly)

-This fall I have a “roadside apple” road trip planned where I just drive around old local settlement areas in fall and collect seed from roadside and homestead apple trees, and mark the parent on GPS (because I like record-keeping).

-I’ve sourced chestnut trees from a relatively-local producer who has a mix of American, European, and Japanese trees and is in their second or third round of “plant 5 trees, cut 4 down” selection.

I’m sure we’ll split off threads about different projects as time goes on (maybe an apple seed swap this winter?), but here’s my start.

Edited to add: none of the above happened, but it kicked off a good discussion

2 Likes

Greenie/Erin DeS
I’ve heard pears come fairly true from seed but take a long time to fruit.

I’m very interested in persimmon.

Joseph Z
I’ll send you some persimmon seeds. I have a cache of the northernmost D. virginiana I have found. Heavy producers as well. I’ll get to your ‘tea package’ this next week or so. We had a major wind storm come through here last week and I’ve been fixing roofs and dealing with felled trees. In the interim it is cool so prime grafting weather. Haven’t been on the forum in a bit.

Kevin C
I would love to do this with fruit trees in my area but there aren’t many people that grow any fruit tree besides the occasional fig, citrus, and occasional peach which most don’t survive any swing outside the normal winter temperatures. I have only ever seen one other fruit tree which was a pear in a fancy neighborhood front yard. My goal is to grow my own fruit trees and start trees from seed if I can get any fruiting trees. People around here only really care about livestock so it is pretty tough to find any collaborators in the fruit tree or even chemical free vegetable growing.

Mark R
That sounds cool to have so many different wild fruits in your area they only wild fruits I have seen ir even heard of wild persimmon (I don’t know anyone who eats them), trifoliate citrus which is invasive and takes over everything, and the rare fruiting mulberry. I was so excited when we moved to our current property because there is a giant wild mulberry tree in the front yard but it doesn’t produce fruit…

I am hoping when we move in hopefully the near future I can start on a food forest with combinations of wild and domestic varieties in hopes I can produce crosses that can be replanted from seed and provide a reliable food production for the future generations of my family.

Julia D
I’ve just been listening to a chapter in Eating to Extinction about ‘Perry’ pears-- small, intense flavored, almost inedible–. Sounds like yours might be those, and cider apples? Are you trees maybe left over or reseeded from an old orchard?

Mark R
Our wild pears are, while small are far from inedible, they taste like pear candy.

Most of the apples are terrible sour. I’m not much familiar with cider apples so I looked them up and found this quote on a web site “… Also referred to as ‘spitters’ due to the astringency and bitterness imparted by their tannins…” That about sums it up except some are hard as rocks on top of it.

My guess is that all the feral non-native fruits came from old homesteads and orchards, but they are not concentrated as if from one specific place. Instead, they are widely scattered, and they are not really very common. I guess within maybe a mile diameter of my house (other than those I’ve planted) there is maybe 10 peaches, 5 pears and 2 apples. If you want to find them the best way is to look for flowering in spring and mark the spot.

One other native fruit that I absolutely love is plums. They used to be very common but are just about extinct now, I don’t know why.

Alma N
I think a hunt for good sweet apples from seed will turn up way more tart apples. I would plant those separate with a few crabapple species to cross with.
Quince, Pear, Asian Pear.
I think a project to breed bigger rose hips would be great.
Elderberry.
Raspberry, blackberry, hybrids.

Joseph Z
I have a few very interesting Northern pears to boot with seed to go with it. Alma, you have pear and asparagus seeds? I am trying to get a generation of wild asparagus seed started this spring but they are slow to start.

Christopher W
I’m not really thinking about landraces yet with my woody perennial projects. I’m planting in diversity, but the time-scale on these projects, as you point out, is so much longer that I hope to get a couple generations of crossbreeding in the ground before my time is up and hopefully someone else will carry the project forward and they can consider how to shepherd and designate the nascent landrace. I do wish I’d started with all this 30 years ago.

Alma N
Last time I was in that town visiting family was a couple years ago, I asked about them and no one knew. The house was sold the year he died, I may just have to go knock on the door haha.

Greenie/Erin DeS
I… would definitely go knock on the door, maybe with a basket of produce or something. The plums in the vacant lot by my childhood home got completely demolished by blackberries, I wish I’d dug up a sucker earlier.

This thread led me to google streetview the road I grew up on and, although the plums are gone from that vacant lot, the grapes are still climbing happily through cedar trees. 100% going to take cuttings this fall.

Megan G
I’d be interested in many woody perennials, if I had the acres. My work is primarily at my home in my backyard. I have a few 5 year old fruit trees that are not well adapted and have never set fruit. They are quite tiny for being 5 years old. I have feral raspberries that multiply like crazy.

I am trying to grow more raspberries from seed, elderberries from seed and also from root stock, I have pawpaw seed and young pawpaw plants. I would also like dwarf hazelnuts. I really want chestnuts but that’s not really feasible on my one acre with all the things I have going on and the layout of my land and buildings.

I’d love to see more about your woody perennial projects and live vicariously through all of you.

Here’s the best looking tree. The name has since worn off the tag. They’ve never set fruit. Taken last Saturday 4/23.

Julia D
I planted quite a few apricot seeds this fall. I got them from Joseph L. and some from a local friend. I would have assumed apricots need more heat, so I was surprised to find them growing successfully near me. But I’d love more variety to plant more apricot seeds next year. I have unlimited amounts of homestead/old varieties of plums, apples, quince, pears, and figs, and about 20 years ago I found a tree that tasted like a cross between a quince and a pear (that’s possible?). It was really not good at all. Need to go back this fall and investigate.

Greenie/Erin DeS
Did you try the pear/quince cooked or raw? I find raw quince quite inedible, it really is when they get cooked along with pears that they do their magic. I wonder if its seeds are fertile? Those would be VERY neat. You marked the spot?

My understanding is that apricots grow here but get totally destroyed by disease, I know folks who successfully grow them under cover. Were your friend’s growing fine?

Ray S
Not working with woody perennials as a landrace but definitely growing from seed - in fruit apples, apricots, cherries (both sour and sweet), peaches, pears so far and in nuts almonds, chestnuts, hazels, pecans and walnuts so far. Peaches of course produce quickly from seed and if the parent is decent the offspring is too, usually. The rest, well, I like trees!
Also converting to growing trees on their own roots. I’m sick and tired of dealing with rootstock suckers! So far I have Fuji and Mutsu apples on their own roots with a half dozen or so more hopefully ready for next season. I know this wouldn’t suit a lot of people but I have the space so why not! I’ve ordered a few grafted plums and will convert these to own-root trees too.

Greenie/Erin DeS
I definitely have internal tension between growing from seed onto own-root, which just feels much better to me, and grafting my seedlings to see if the fruit is any good sooner and therefore whether I should take out the tree and leave room for the next seedling.

Haskaps are on their way, the first shrub to break bud by a long shot.

Masha Z
We have a food forest with one or a few of nearly everything that will grow in this area, but most were purchased bare-root or grown from cuttings. Only two trees were planted from seed (one quince and one mystery pome (long story)), and they haven’t fruited yet. I won’t be applying landrace principles to perennials for two reasons - first, lack of space (can’t plant enough trees) and second, lack of time (I’m already in my 70s). I’m very interested to see how your project goes!
P.S. Have you read Mark Shepard’s work on “hybrid swarms”?

Greenie/Erin DeS
I didn’t end up moving somewhere warm enough for pawpaws, so I still have a bunch of high-quality-parent seeds I acquired; they’ve been living in the stratification part of my fridge.

I collected a ton of apple seeds from my current trees; there’s a super tasty crabapple (probably chestnut) and a transparent that were there long before I was and they do well every year. I also have a flowering, red crabapple that produces miniscule fruit; the pollen probably gets mixed up in everything though I don’t save seed from it.

I’ll stratify those seeds through the winter and plant them out with the hardy-tasty-parent seed I obtained elsewhere, and then in spring will see how they do. I expect to set the seedlings 18" apart in 3’ rows and forget about them until they start to fruit; anything that is winterkilled obviously doesn’t stay, anything that tastes terrible can get something else grafted onto it.

I’m also adding several more named cultivars to the mix, so my seeds will get increasingly interesting as time goes on.

I’ve saved a bunch of u sask cherry seeds (they are obligate outcrossers so who knows what I’ll get with that) and saskatoons from my favourite bush. They’ll be stratified outdoors, and whatrever comes up will come up.

I’ve been keeping an eye on some hazelnuts that might be hardy here, often sold as seedlings of either named varieties or of crossed groups collected by area, but I’m not putting my energy into that yet.
Add comment…

2022-11-10T08:00:00Z
Does anyone have any thoughts about landrace breeding fruit trees? Joseph touched on it briefly in his book, but mostly all it said was, “Plant some seeds.” Good idea, and I’m wondering if anyone has any more thoughts about it!

Debbie A
I don’t have more thoughts on the subject except that I agree with
@Joseph Lofthouse
about planting seeds. We have several volunteer peach trees from pits that survived composting, and the fruit is delicious. There is evidence of peach borer infestation, but I’ve only lost one tree so far. I’ve planted plum seeds from named varieties, but the fruits, while tasty and good for jam, are small. Have you seen the pistachio trees on the USU campus in Logan? A friend and I picked nuts from those trees, and I have two ‘trees’ (only a foot or so tall after several years) planted in our yard. I often get volunteer trees of all kinds in my pots, and I’m thinking of transplanting them to create a sort of grove, to see which ones can make it on their own. One of my most favorite things is to see a tree pop up in the garden and make it on its own.

Emily S
Unless it’s a Chinese elm, I assume. :wink: We’ve got a massive infestation of those trees in my neighborhood. They’re so frustratingly invasive!

I don’t think I’ve ever been to Logan, so I had no idea they had pistachio trees there. That’s awesome! Man, I love pistachios . . . I didn’t used to have a tree nut allergy . . .

Debbie A
The story, I believe, is that Iranian students in the 70’s planted pistachio nuts they had brought from home, and a couple of them grew into fairly large trees. They’re not watered or taken care of by anyone.

I get Chinese elm popping up everywhere. At least they have a distinctive leaf and I can pull them out when I see them. I had taken a bonsai class a while back, and the instructor showed us one where he had taken a bunch of Chinese elm seeds and potted them in a tight circular group. They looked like a small forest erupting from a plain.

Emily S
Oh, what kind of things did you learn from the bonsai class? I’ve wondered what the techniques are. I’ve considered trying to grow a mini evergreen tree in a pot to use as a living Christmas tree. If I could keep it small as a houseplant year-round, that would be neat.

That is so awesome about the pistachio trees. That sounds like the right way to plant landscaping trees! Trees that thrive without care are great in a garden, but they’re especially important in a public space, so that they can be left alone and simply do their thing.

hugo m
Same hère Debby. When i moved in the previous owner had planted three peach trees of différent varieties.
They had given so many volunteers.
And some good fruit. I’ve kept seeds and plantes them. They came up a season later.

I tried to make a windbreak for four Yeats. Tried willow and hornbeam(hard as nails, someone said. They didn’t work. One day i looked at a peach as tall as me not far from where my dead hornbeam and willow stood and asked my friend why it did so well. He said it was because it likes it there.
I understood and moved the peachseedlings to the spot. They have held out and do great.
I wouldn’t know about fruit taste because the springs have been eratic with mad late frosts.
But, i’ve got a windbreak growing!

It takes long to see the results.

Akiva Silver describes looking for fruit trees in the wild. And i am rereading his book Trees of Power. I thought quite dôme tomes in fact hé ils landracing trees.
The way hé throws t’en thousand apple seeds down and then puts blight on thèm, to keep the blight résistant trees. Worth a read!!

Debbie A
Thanks for the recommendation, Hugo. Sounds like a good book. Hope your peach windbreak will be fruitful soon. Nothing better than a multitasking plant!

Christopher W
I’m reading Trees of Power for the first time now!

Lauren Ritz
I prefer seed grown trees. Other people don’t agree, but to me they seem better adapted, healthier, and live longer.

I currently have seeds in the refrigerator for peach, apple, pear, plum, apricot, oak, chestnut, pecan and almond. I need to put the grape seeds in and get those started.

One thing to remember is that commercial orchards will often plant trees for pollination that aren’t necessarily food quality. Apple orchards, for example, will often use crab apples. So you could easily get a mix that would not be helpful to you in your goals. Not always, though. My neighbor in my old house had a great apple tree that came from a seed her kids spit out. It had beautiful fruit that didn’t brown in processing and was excellent for juice. I had an interlaken/concord grape cross that had the taste of the concord the color of the interlaken, but ripened midsummer. I have an apricot sitting in a sunny window, along with a peach seedling.

The main problem (so to speak) with landracing trees is that they grow slowly. Most people don’t have twenty or thirty years for one project.

Emily S
My thought is that the most sensible way to get apple, peach, and apricot seeds would be to buy fruit at a farmers’ market, and ask the farmer what all the varieties are that they have. That ought to give me an excellent idea of what the father tree may have been like.

Or of course to ask neighbors if I can have a fruit or two from a tree that is doing extremely well, assuming there aren’t any cultivars I dislike nearby (crabapples, ornamental pears, etc.) that may have been a pollen donor.

I’m pleased that there are loads of apple trees and no crabapples in my neighborhood! There were loads of crabapples in my last neighborhood, so I wouldn’t have wanted to have saved seeds from apples grown there.

I have heard that apple trees grown from seed are way more drought tolerant than transplanted trees, because they have a deep taproot that breaks when a tree is transplanted. It would make sense if that’s true of all other trees, too. That’s a huge argument for growing from seed in a desert!

Ray S
I love the idea of fruit/nut landraces but at 70 I’ll leave their development to younger folk. We do however grow trees from seed - peach (so far good fruit), apple, pear (very thorny!), sweet cherry, sour cherry, quince, loquat, almond, hazel, chestnut, pecan, walnut and oak. Plums have been a disappointment (nasty thorns and suckering habit) so we don’t bother with them anymore. Apart from peaches, the rest have yet to fruit. I don’t expect to see the oaks fruit but future generations may benefit.

Debbie A
You remind me of a dear friend who, at the age of 92, planted 2 persimmon trees, for those future generations. She was an inspiration, as are you! I hope I will still be actively planting at 70 and beyond.

Emily S
Aww, what a wonderful woman! Thinking in terms of the benefit of future generations is a wonderful thing to do. I hope my children, grandchildren, and so on down the line will look at the things I did and be glad of them. I know I am extremely grateful for the many great things my ancestors have done for me.

One thing I’ve considered is that there are a few unusual fruit trees and bushes I’m interested in that are almost hardy enough for my zone. (Kumquats, feijoas, ugniberries, certain banana species, etc.) Since there can be a wide variation of cold hardiness within the same species, growing a whole bunch of seeds and watching for at least one to survive long-term seems like a good strategy. Plus, it’s likely to be cheaper than buying transplant trees. The main issue is that tree seeds can sometimes be really hard to germinate.

Right now I’m looking at some feijoa and fig seeds I have, and going, “These are absolutely tiny. How do I get these to germinate if I’m direct seeding?”

Richard G
I’ve been planting chestnuts since 2010 here in the Missouri Ozarks, trying to bring plenty of diversity of genetics here to see what works best even before ever hearing the word “landrace”. Since 2016 I’ve been growing chestnut trees from seed collected from some of our best trees here, as well as continuing to bring in some new genetics. This year I’ve been able to collect some seed from some of my second generation trees, meaning I’ll soon have third generation trees. Eventually this project may turn into something I’d call a landrace.

Trees should respond to landracing as well as annuals, it just takes much more time. I’ve already grown and selected seeds from more generations of corn than could be done with chestnut trees in a lifetime. Chestnuts with the right genetics do start producing at around five years old for me, but the trees that seem best at five years old aren’t always the ones that are best later on. I have a tree that did great the first few years and produced decent yields of medium-sized nuts starting at year 5. However, later on it put too much energy into nut production, so much that the nuts have been some years almost too small to bother with, and the tree hasn’t grown much, even having die-back of some twigs this year. In contrast, my best producing trees that last couple of years have been a couple of dunstans planted in 2011 that didn’t put on many nuts until the last few years but now have a larger, better looking tree form than most of the others. By waiting a bit longer to put energy into nut production, these trees were able to put more energy into building a tree that’s capable of higher production now.

Emily S
Thinking about it, even if you want a specific cultivar, it might make sense to start from seed anyway, and then use the seed-grown tree as a rootstock. It might be healthier and more locally adapted that way.

Hmmm. That might be an interesting idea, even if I want to try the fruit before committing the tree to being only a rootstock, just because it would fruit sooner that way. I could leave half the branches as the original tree and graft scions onto the rest. Then, when the rootstock finally produces fruit I can taste, I can decide whether I want to cut off the scions and let the tree be entirely itself, or whether I want to put scions on the other half of it.

Does anybody do that? Would there be any downside (other than the extra effort) of doing things that way?

Nut trees interest me, in theory, because they seem like such a great source of protein. Sadly, I have a tree nut allergy. (Sigh.) I read books on foraging, and they keep on mentioning nut trees, and I’m like, “Stop talking about how good those taste! I can’t eat those!”

I’ve read online that acorns usually don’t trigger the same allergic reaction as other tree nuts, so I need to try one acorn and see if I like it and it doesn’t make my mouth itch. If so, I could include those in my list of local wild foods I could forage for.

I’ve read that apple trees are safe to plant only ten feet away from a house’s foundations, because the roots are some of the least invasive for fruit trees. They mostly go down. (That’s probably why they’re also one of the most drought tolerant fruit trees.) So I figure, “Let’s direct sow some apple seeds in that spot where we need shade trees!” I like plants that are valuable in multiple ways.

Christopher W
I’ve planted apple seeds each year for the last four. I planted hazels last year. I have to get some plums and pears out of little pots and into the ground this week. But I won’t have anything to report back for years. I’m hoping to get three generations of apples tasted before I’m gone. Four would be lucky.

Lauren Ritz
You don’t have to wait 5 or 10 or 20 years to find out if you have good fruit, provided you have a suitable rootstock to graft a branch onto.

Ray S
@Lauren Ritz
, if I have a one year old apple seedling and graft it onto an older already fruiting apple how quickly might I expect fruit on the scion?

Lauren Ritz
I really don’t know, as I am not good at grafting (it’s something I’m working on). I would suspect two years, but that’s just a guess. It’s going to take at least a year for the graft to heal.

Emily S
Oh, that’s a cool idea! I hadn’t thought about doing the reverse, grafting a branch of the seedling onto another tree! Wow, that’s cool.

Lowell M
Ken Asmus from Oikos Tree Crops has been doing a lot of work with trees and permaculture plants that would fall under the umbrella of landrace methods. It’s sad that his nursery is closed. He still has seasonal items for sell but I think you can only purchase in bulk which is expensive. Anyways, definitely worth checking out all the varieties and projects he has worked on, and for the most part still is working on.

J Larsen
I was watching How Mark Shephard’s Farm THRIVES on Neglect (Extended Version) - YouTube and Mark Shephard talked about how he created a landrace (he didn’t use that name) of some nut trees where he grows them and saves any seed from trees that make fruit their first year. I think if you could get ones that make fruit their first year or 2 and cull the rest you could create a more realistic landrace after 3 to 5 years instead of a lifetime. I also love lauren’s idea of using grafting to bring in branches of ones that you might cull just in case the fruit is really good.

Emily S
Wow! That’s brilliant! I really like that idea. Not realistic if you have to buy seeds, but if you already have established fruit trees that you’re saving those seeds from (on your land or a neighbor’s or out in the wild or wherever), you could save a whole bunch and plant them all out and not mind if you had to cull 99% of them every year.
That’s a really smart idea. I like it!

J Larson
I bet that you could just go to the farmers market and buy a bushel of whatever fruit you wanted, save all those seeds, and plant them. That could be hundreds. I think you could plant them super close together (like every 6 inches or 1ft) and just cull anything that isn’t growing really well. If you’re doing pit fruit it’d be a little harder, but you could potentially talk to neighbors that have fruit trees for those, and just ask them to save them. If you plant them so that you have a fruit tree every foot, then you could pick ones that do really well and either keep them there or transplant them at the end of the season

Emily S
I’ve considered doing that very thing! In fact, I have about 10 peach pits and 100 cherry pits sitting around that I’ve been thinking about doing that very thing with. I got the fruits for all of them from the farmers’ market. My plan was to be very careful about choosing what to plant and where, though. That video made me realize, “Oh, duh! I can just plant them all where I want trees and see if anything grows, and then I will have spent no money and very little time or worry on it!”

I LOVE that guy’s attitude of always sticking the seeds out of a fruit he’s eaten in the ground somewhere on his land where it has a chance to grow. That’s brilliant. It seems like a very simple, easy to remember, easy to implement system that will eventually (literally) bear fruit.

Yeah, in the book Grow a Little Fruit Tree (which I read a few months ago), I was stunned and really excited to learn that if I keep fruit trees pruned, I can pretty much almost completely ignore spacing. I could have, say, a hedge of six-foot-tall apple trees that are all planted six inches apart if I want to. It just takes regular pruning to make sure they aren’t competing with each other for sunlight too much. I LOVE that idea. It seems so space efficient, so interesting, and so beautiful.

And I’m wild about his point that you can figure out which trees fruit quickly just by planting tons of seeds and culling all the ones that aren’t among the first to fruit, and planting seeds from the ones that are in the now vacated places. In retrospect, that’s so duh!

J Larson
What if you just planted 100 of them wherever, and transplant a few of the very best, take off a scion from each and put it on a neighbor’s apple tree. You could then taste them the next year and only keep ones that have good apples, and save their seeds and plant those and repeat

You could even not worry about saving the original trees, just cut them and make them into a scion for the big tree. Then only the last year you move the best one to the final place

Emily S
Probably good ideas for someone who wants to transplant eventually. One of the reasons I want to start from seed is to that my apple trees are never transplanted. I’ve read that seed-grown apple trees have much deeper tap roots than ones that were transplanted (because the taproot gets broken during transplanting), and having that tap root intact will make for much better drought tolerance. Since drought tolerance is one of the biggest things I want for my fruit trees, that sold me on the idea of starting from seed!

J Larsen
true, though you could make a landrace first, and then grow in place once you get reliable ones.

Emily S
True! But I’d rather have the reliable ones in a place I’m comfortable with keeping them in the first place. :wink:

The ideas and inspiration in this thread inspired me so much that I went and took all the seeds I’ve collected out of apples the past few days and planted them in my side yard. I’ve been planning to grow some apple trees from seed there anyway, but I hadn’t decided which seeds to plant. I decided to plant about 30, and let Strategic Total Utter Neglect choose which ones grow for me.

These seeds all came from the same mother: a tree with tasty apples growing in my friend’s yard a few streets away, which is healthy, with not a lot of pest damage, and near no crabapples that I know of. It occurred to me as I was cutting them up for preserving that the offspring of that tree may be ideal for my purposes.

So, rather than carefully saving three seeds (which was what I’d been planning to do), I planted all 30 or so in a row where I want to have three trees. I won’t care for them at all; I’ll just see what sprouts and does well, and if any of them fruit in the first year. Apples do extremely well in Provo (we have orchards all over the place; I’ve even seen apple trees growing wild in a park near me), so my chances of getting something out of those seeds that is great for my growing conditions is probably high.

Oh! One thing worth considering is that fruit trees often don’t produce their best quality fruit in their first year of fruiting. That’s what I’ve been told, anyway. It was specifically regarding figs, but the guy said it was true of most fruit trees and bushes. So if a fruit tree produces fruit and you think it’s just okay, it may be better not to cull it yet – it may be better to give it a second year to please you. That seems like a worthwhile thing to know with breeding fruit trees.

Mark R
Used to when we went to the big international grocery, I would go to what we called the used food department where they mix up packages of apples, pears and the like and sell them for 10% of the cost as those out on the shelves. Some are past being much good to eat but the seeds are fine. I didn’t pay any attention to variety names. I have noticed, as someone mentioned that the pears sometimes have thorns, or more like big spikes.

Locally, I collected the best of the best of walnut, hickory, pecan, pawpaw, persimmon and wild plum and even the elusive feral pears and peaches. They came from a general area from Indianapolis, IN to Lexington, KY and from Cincinnati, OH to Louisville, KY so I think they are already a landrace. I just tried to concentrate the best of the best into one, more compact area around where I live.

I used to buy bulk (own root) grape vines from a place in New York, so much cheaper that way that I could pot up and sell a quarter of them and get all my money back. I would load them in my backpack and go for a walk.

I say used too because I am completely out of room at my place and along my trails on the nearby state-owned hunting preserve, and long the gravel backroads and creek valleys in my neighborhood.

I have a special affinity for grapes, and they are the only ones I mess with much anymore because it’s easy to just take a bunch of seeds or cuttings along for a hike and plant them. My hope is they will cross with our many variations of wild grapes and eventually end up with wild vines that have larger fruits.

I don’t plant much of anything at my place anymore unless I come across something that it’s worth cutting something else down.

@Emily S
I pretty much ran out of room in what you might call the yard in just a couple of years, took a bit longer for the rest of the place and then another fifteen years or so everywhere else.

I had slowed down a lot already when a few years ago the emerald ash borers arrived and killed all the big ash trees, so I started over replacing them with pecans. They grow faster than the other big nut trees.

When walnut and pecan started coming up all over the place from nuts the squirrels stole form our porch, I realized that they don’t really find and dig back up all that they burry, so I just started dumping five-gallon buckets of them here and there for them to plant.

I haven’t stopped completely, just this past weekend we visited my favorite hickory tree and hit the jackpot. It’s in an old graveyard several miles away. Got there just as a big windstorm had knocked them all down but before the squirrels got them all.

It is the only tree of its phenotype, I’ve ever seen. It isn’t nearly as tall as most old hickories but much, much more spreading, looks like a giant umbrella. The nuts are three times the size of any other I’ve ever seen, bigger than most black walnuts. Shells are much thicker too, a real pain to open but worth the effort. They can lay in the ground for three or four years before sprouting.

I was really excited to get a nice haul from it this year as it may be the last. It has been struck by lightning at least twice and is dying. ALL of the nuts we found are getting planted. Well, maybe I’ll crack just enough for one pie.

Ryder T
That’s a really interesting sounding hickory! Hope it flourishes wherever you plant it

1 Like

I am about six years into an apricot breeding project. I planted seeds from three different mother trees. Then planted about 10-12 seedlings of each into a row in the garden. They are spaced three feet apart. I planted by sibling groups. Most of the siblings from one mother winter-killed, and thus self-eliminated.

After they fruited at five years old, I took the two trees that I liked the best, (from different sibling groups), and transplanted them elsewhere. If I get the ambition, I may move some of the remaining trees to the badlands. Apricots are a crop that survives here without irrigation. The fruits on the remaining trees are fine. Some are small. Some have thick skins, with super-juicy insides - like eating a paint-ball.

The apricot flowers got froze in year six, so no seeds were produced last summer.

Two years ago, I planted a few hundred seeds for the 4th generation of my family’s walnut breeding project. Planted local hazelnut seeds a year ago.

This fall, I planted locally sources seeds of pistachio, mulberry, current, service berry, and plum. Also planted non-local persimmon, chestnut, and pecan.

4 Likes

Oh, nice! I like the idea of planting sibling groups together, so you can see which mothers are most likely to give you the strongest seeds for your land.

This evening I fell down a gleditsia tricantha/honeylocust rabbit hole.

They’re hardy up here in zone 3 apparently. They’re one of those permaculture plants: they produce a lot of calories in their pods, they can coppice and make good firewood, they have some nitrogen-fixing potential; some have big thorns, they may have flavour and texture issues, they spread sometimes too-easily.

There isn’t one within well over a hundred miles of me.

If I ignore the issue of how easily they coppice from the roots, it might be fun to plant these and then cut down any bad ones at first thorn/bad flavour since I can always use some firewood. Work towards an acceptable taste/texture, and away from thorns. There are existing thornless trees for sale, and there are some cultivars that have been selected for heavy (?flavourful?) pod production.

I need to brush down the aspens anyhow, why not add more suckers to the mix? :laughing:

They seem to like heat in order to actually create pods, which may be an issue up here, but it might not hurt to try.

Honey Locust is common where I live. In fall and even into winter the drying pods do have a thick goo inside that is very sweet. I don’t know if that goo is an actual food, I’ve never done anything other than taste it and the sweet flavor finishes with a bit of bitterness. There is no local handed down knowledge that indicates they are a food source and I’m not going to eat enough of that goo to find out myself. I’ll wait for a permaculturist to report on that, I’d be happy to provide the pods.

They are beautiful trees, from a distance. They do not have thorns, they have spikes. The spikes grow in clusters off the trunk and larger branches. They are tough, needle sharp and they will hurt you, your kids and your dog. The spikes will burn like gasoline and if you want to cut one down its advisable to burn them off beforehand. The “thornless” ones I have seen planted in parking lots and in front of office buildings are sickly things and most do have some thorns, although not spikes.

From my experience, if there is any value to honey locust it be may in those spikes. When you get poked by one a tiny bit of that super sharp tip nearly always breaks off and you can’t get it out. It just heals over, and you may keep it, for decades. WHY? Does it not get infected like any other splinter or thorn? That is if you get poked, rather than stabbed.

Their cousin black locust is a far, far more valuable tree in all respects. It also fixes nitrogen, makes fantastic fence posts and firewood. Its flowers smell wonderful and in a light batter taste similar to morel mushrooms, we pig out on them every spring. Its thorns are actual thorns, not spikes.

Yeah, I read somewhere that honey locust suckers are sometimes called “living caltrops.” A nasty, sharp spike is the first thing out of the ground! They’re known for popping tires and spearing feet.

Then I saw a picture of their thorns, which practically made my eyes bug out. Four inches long, with one-inch thorns on the thorns.

I’ve heard the seed pods are edible, which is great, but with thorns like that – no!

I’m mildly interested in a completely thornless honey locust, but the thorny varieties sound so horrible that I’d still be very wary and suspicious of introducing that tree to my ecosystem.

I think I’ve read somewhere that there are thornless black locusts. That may be interesting to me. Wonderfully smelling flowers that are delicious when eaten would be great. If there are no thorns.

I’m planning to try to grow a carob tree, which is not at all hardy to my zone, but is apparently closely related to the locusts. It’s a nitrogen fixer, like they are. It’s thornless, and the taste of the seed pods is similar to chocolate. There’s no chance of growing cacao here, but if I can convince a carob tree to flower and fruit here (even though the species is usually only hardy to zone 9, and I’m in 7b), I’ll have access to a fresh, caffeine-free, locally grown chocolate alternative. That would be awesome.

Honey locust spikes are way bigger than four inches, they can easily be more than a foot. Secondary side spikes are bigger than four inches. When we were kids, we fashioned a variety of rather serious weapons from them, such as spear points, frog gigs and blow darts. They can also be used as needles. I’ve never seen spikes emerge from the ground like a sprout, but a large, exposed root has them the same as the rest of the tree. Any shed branches are covered with them so the ground under a big tree isn’t a safe place to be. Even if they don’t puncture the sole of your shoe, stepping on one it might flop up and stab you in the ankle.

Black locust thorns are more like rose thorns only thicker and not as sharp. They hurt but nobody ever killed anything with black locust thorns, at least that I know of.

I’m sure I’ve read that honeylocust thorns (or spikes) have been used as nails in house-building. I wonder if that’s real and practical.

From what I understand, black locust have toxic seeds, and I have a lot of animals that would eat them, so they’re absolutely ruled out for me. The honeylocusts I remember seeing as street trees in Vancouver had thorns but weren’t too bad, and though they busted up the sidewalks with roots the thorns were especially not bad down at the base. Sounds like there’s a lot of variability on this trait.

I’m in a perfect position to work with them in a very controlled way, since there are none nearby to contribute thorny genes.

Spikes . . . longer than a foot . . .

:scream:

I, uh . . . yeah, I think I’ll pass on introducing any part of that species to my yard, even a thornless variety.

I don’t know if black locust seeds are toxic or what if any animals eat them, but I’ve never heard of anything being harmed by them.

I have never eaten or even tasted the green pods or seeds of either black or honey locust and I don’t know of anyone that has.

My buddy Paul has a honey locust grove near his property. He and his family called it “devil tree” on account of its thorns and rampant spreading long before they learned what it was.

To the best of my understanding it has seen use as a food tree.

Even if it’s a fodder crop for the pigs/geese I’m happy with it, I understand that’s a more traditional use.

There are no traditional uses for honey locust where I live, at least that I know of. It isn’t even good firewood, not to mention the hassle of safely cutting one down. When getting my land ready to build on I cleared it off of five acres with a small chain saw. Fortunately, it does not grow in competition with larger trees like oak or hickory, so it is mostly gone from the whole place now. I hate to kill anything completely, so I kept a couple of pets at the edge of the yard. I even cleaned away the competing vines and rose bushes. They radiate a glorious aura of hostility.

@H.B maybe I’ve missed something, a food tree for what?

(moderated/out of order-- moved from a different discussion)
Again, to the best of my fallible understanding and by way of the internet, I think honey locust immature pods are edible as are the cooked seeds and the goo.

But it seems to me there are a number of trees with similar characteristics, or configurations of trees, that would cover the same uses without being invasive and stabby.

I’ll be that guy and say that as long as you’re outside the arctic, there is pretty much always a native crop to your area. Most of them have been forgotten or abandoned.

You have oaks, prunus, malus for just about every temperate region, and while oaks and apples can’t be landraced, some other tree crops are ripe for crossing.

In the midwest, I encourage people to cultivate new varieties of Camas and Sunchoke. I’m sure there are more species I’ve never heard of that could be taken under wing.

I am pretty sure that apples can be landraced as well. Antonovka and Bittfelder are two that are arguably historic landraces, and from memory are diploid. (No reason to forbid polyploid apples from a landrace project I’m sure) I believe June apple/yellow transparent is probably a historic landrace as well. One source I’ve seen hints that our June apples are descended from Antonovka.

When people request Kazakh apple seeds from the USDA repository, which has gotten to be kind of popular, it’s for this reason – to cross wild genetics for landracing purposes.

To say more would be too much digression. But apples, yes! Now, are there any wild apples to start with in a certain part of Utah? If that is the question, I defer.

1 Like