Regular Community Calls

“And zoom is not really designed to be available except during meetings”

I’m not sure what the specifics are but it’s an open room for the craft zoom. I can open it at any time and be in there. Not sure if it’s a certain way the account is set up or what. If it would be useful I can ask the person who runs it how that works.

I’m pretty flexible with time availability so let me know if I can help you test run anything to get things set up.

1 Like

I may need to correct my zoom description. Sorry that I may be a little wrong on that point, and thanks for the correction!

Bravo Mark for your post. Very instructive and clear… even if details may be changed, updated.
I would gladly appreciate you facilitate end-of-march or april meeting… as I am a bit of a dumbass, as far as computing is concerned :slight_smile:

I run Discord servers so know how they work. You can also add in Watch Together tool. I often have some Discord groups having out and use watch together. You can all watch the same videos at the same time and talk amongst each other as you group watch the videos.

3 Likes

Very cool, Mark. Let’s try it! How can we help?

Love this idea too. I think we should try it the next couple days. But can I log you into our zoom account so you can adjust the settings and post the link for people?

I appreciate your openness to this idea, thank you Julia. I’m really encouraged that several people here have experience with Discord, it really is a good one, in my opinion.

I can think of three steps to help GTS to evaluate using Discord:

1. Establish a free Discord server account and make basic configuration steps, set up some channels and rooms for GTS conversation.
  2. Start a separate thread here in the forum about Discord to discuss its use, share the server login link, and where GTS members could post if they are having issues or questions about using Discord.
  3. Plan a small ‘test meeting’ for a few of us to try out the meeting functions together. Then help facilitate a public monthly meeting, maybe at the beginning of April.

I’ve had a chance this morning to check off the first item on the list, and do the basic configuration for a Discord server. Anyone reading this who would like to access the provisional Going to Seed Discord server can do so via this link: Going to Seed - Adaptation Gardening

And in fact, anyone that would like to have a video meeting or share video and discuss it ought to be able to log in as it is now and do so. Pretty neat.

I should have more time later today to start an ‘Experimenting with Discord’ or ‘How to Access Discord’ thread along the lines I mentioned.

@ThomasPicard , @KadenceLunemann , and @peterd you have mentioned that you are already Discord users. If we wind up using this tool in an ongoing way, maybe you would be willing to consider serving as a Moderator for that platform. Going to Seed - Adaptation Gardening

I asked my friend who runs the craft zoom how it works on their side, if it’s an account settings thing or what. I don’t have a paid zoom account and I don’t see anything specific to this so I’ll find out and let you know.

I’m in the discord. I can help mod.

1 Like

You are fast. I also an advanced user. I can help.

In the zoom app, when I go to “more” at the top it has my name and “basic” because I have a free account, not paid. If I hit that it shows where I can change my profile name and picture etc. At the bottom it says “user type basic” and “meetings you host will be limited to 40 minutes”.

I looked at the zoom website for pricing and didn’t see anything that was specific to having a room that can always be used. My friend is going to get back to me after work about the details so I can pass it on.

I created a thread for Discord conversation. In the process of preparing the initial post, I watched the overview video that Discord created which I think does a good job of introducing their whole system in about 2 minutes.

I linked the video in the Discord thread: Testing Discord for community chat and meetings

1 Like