Trading Tree/Shrub Seeds Fukuoka Style

Originally I was thinking why can’t we include tree seeds into the Fukuoka grab bag mix? But now I think it makes more sense to have a tree seed specific fukuoka grab mix & maybe spread that out to hot weather vs cold tolerant trees?

Regardless since I started this topic, what kinds of tree seeds would y’all like to trade? Wild Trees, Fruit Trees, Shurbs, ect? Here’s some tree/shrub seeds I’m thinking we could trade

• Raspberries & Blackberries (Rubus spp.)
  • Rose Seeds (Rosa spp.)
  • Apples & Crabapples (Malus spp.)
  • Pears (Pyrus spp.)
  • Juneberry (Amelanchier spp.)
  • Hawthorne (Crataegus spp.)
  • Aronia (Aronia spp.)
  • Peaches (Prunus persica)
  • Plums (Prunus domestica)
  • Wild & Domesticated Cherries (Punus spp.)
  • Persimmon seeds (Diospyros spp.)
  • Spicebush (Lindera benzoin)
  • Sycamore Seeds (Platanus occidentails)
  • Maple seeds (Acer spp.)
  • Tulip Tree seeds (Liriodendron tulipifera)
  • Birch Seeds (Betula spp.)
  • Pine Seeds (Pinus spp.)
  • Spruce Seeds (Picea spp.)
  • Douglas Fir Seeds (Pseudostuga menziesii)
  • Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)
  • Jujubee (Ziziphus jujuba)
  • Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
  • Black Tulpeo (Nyssa Sylvatica)
  • Golden & Green Kiwi (Actinida chinensis)
  • Kiwi Berry (Actinida arguta)
  • Muscadine Grape (Vitis rotundifolia)
  • Wild Grape seeds (Vitis spp.)
  • Silverberry (Eleagnus pungens)
  • Kousa Dogwood (Cornus kousa)
  • Mulberry (Morus alba)
  • Nannyberry (Viburnum lentago)
  • Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)
  • Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis)
  • Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos)
  • Sumac (Rhus typhina)
  • Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis)
  • Medjool Date Palm (Pheonix dactylifera)
  • Mexican Guava (Psidium guajava)
  • Hibiscus (Hibiscus spp.)
  • Pomegranate (Punica granatum)
  • Blueberry Seeds (Vaccinium corymbosum)

Any other suggestions?

4 Likes

Citrus is another I have seen mentioned a lot.

Moringa
Mesquite
Yucca
Opuntia
Goumi
Almond
Olive

2 Likes

Yes!
Definitely distinguish between temperature climates…and there needs to be a seed steward too…Everything I can send in grows in zone 10.

Moringa
Dates
Citrus
Guaje (acacia) Leucaena leucocephala
Quava
Palo verde

2 Likes

You’ve got some epic seeds!

I’d love to get some Moringa, Yucca, Opuntia, especially Goumi! Goumi has been a wild edible tree I’ve been searching for quite some time.

@Kimzy Oh wow, you have Guaje seeds? I’ve seen those at the Mexican Grocery Store before it closed in my area.
Moringa is epic! What kinds of Guava do you have? I also have Mexican Guava from the Grocery Store.

1 Like

The guaje trees are prolific here as long as they get a good watering monthly.
The guava is white fleshed, I had a couple buckets of fruit a couple years back and saved the seed, but I need to do a germination test…I dont know how long to expect the seeds to be viable.
The quaje is always loaded with seed and hundreds of sprouting seeds all around. The ducks love to eat the greens.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea.
I have some of the following:

• Moringa oleifera
  • Tamarind (Tamarindus indica)
  • Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos)
  • Yew Plum Pine (Podocarpus macrophyllus)
  • Wild Black Cherry (Prunus serotina)
  • Pacara Earpod Tree (Enterolobium contortisiliquum)
  • Some maple tree species (I think it is Acer rubrum)
  • Wild Muscadine Grape (Vitis rotundifolia)
  • Bagpod (Sesbania vesicaria)
  • Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana)
  • Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

Jerry Irving

2 Likes

Do you have a use for Sesbania vesicaria?
I assume it is nitrogen fixing, I have used it as a chop & drop. It’s a cool plant.

Yes, it does fix nitrogen. It is very heat and drought tolerant. It produces a lot of biomass very quickly. And it is also an instant shade plant. This year I used it to shade my strawberries. I also use it for compost. I noticed that it attracts a lot of beneficial insects when it flowers.

Jerry Irving

1 Like

That’s great. I’ve had similar experience with it.
I’ve also found if you continuously chop all the side “branches” it will just keep growing taller, mine got up to around 15’.

I was very surprised how adaptable they are to soil types and conditions. I collected my seeds from a very isolated, sandy-rocky central TX location growing waters edge near a natural spring.
Planted them in my heavy clay with zero irrigation and they grew like crazy.

Goldenball Leadtree (Leucaena retusa) is another one to add to the list.

I also like the “Vegetable Hummingbird” tree (Sesbania grandiflora). I don’t have it, but I would like to.

Eat The Weeds says: “The shrub’s long narrow pods are eaten as a vegetable, similar in use to string beans. The seeds are fermented into a tempeh turi. Young leaves and shoots are eaten in salads or as a pot herb or in soups and stews. Its flowers are eaten raw in salads, boiled, fried or use in curries, stews and soups. They taste like mushrooms and are rich in iron and sugar, read sweet.”

Jerry Irving

1 Like

That’s Incredible! And just like all the other Legume trees, it’s nitrogen fixer thus making it a good chop & drop crop for feeding the soil but plus the immature pods are also edible. Have you tried the immature pods? Idk how to cook them.

That tells me your seeds will germinate just fine as the test has already been done.

@Jerry_Irving You’ve got some amazing Tree Seeds aswell!
How do you eat the Yew Plum pine (Podocarpus macrophyllus), does it taste good?
I would love to get some Moringa, Loquat & Wild Muscadine seeds! I saved the ones from the grocery store. Message me, I’m sure there’s plenty we could trade!

@Jerry_Irving my guy :joy:, you also read Eat The Weeds too!? That’s awesome! I love dat guy, such a wealth of info! I’ve learned So many incredible Wild Edible plants from that guy.

1 Like

Ive only eaten the quaje tree’s green seeds inside the pods…they have a slight garlic flavor and have the size and texture of pumpkin seeds.

2 Likes

The entire plant is poisonous except for the fruit-like arils. On a good day the arils taste like blueberries, but right after it rains they are mushy and bland. More information can be found on the Eat The Weeds website.

I am sorry, but I currently don’t have seeds for those plants.
My Loquat trees should produce fruit sometime this fall.
My moringa trees should produce seeds sometime in January of next year.
As for the Muscadine, it grows wild in my neighborhood. I only noticed its presence this year, so I am still watching it to see if it will produce fruit. If the plants are all male, then they likely won’t make any fruit at all.
I will let you know what I find out about the grapes.

I am sorry to disappoint you, and I hope you don’t mind waiting to get those tree seeds. I will let you know as soon as I am able to trade with you.

Jerry Irving

3 Likes

Dealing with many of these plants we have listed it will be good to keep in mind that seed availability will be very dependant on the seasons growing conditions and being perennials there will also likely be less total seed available even in a good season.

1 Like

Oh wow! They look a lot like plums, kind of blue! I see why it’s called Yew Plum Pine. Blueberry tasting arils sounds amazing, gonna want to harvest at as soon as it ripens.

Bet! As most pome fruits do in fall. Amelanchier is the exception & it’s genetics hybridized with Loquats can get Loquats to fruit earilier. How does your Loquat fruit trees taste? Are all Loquats just yellow or do other colors exist too?

Thank you! Is there anything you’d like me to get you?

No worries, we can trade when everything is ready, I’ll message you. We can take our time.

Good point, especially since perennials don’t have to make their seeds the next year unlike annuals. Except Blackberries/Raspberries, those puppies produces TONS of seeds :rofl:

2 Likes

It tastes sweet and a little acidic. I find its flavor pleasant. Loquat fruit ranges in color from yellow to orange.

I’ll review your list and get back with you.
Thank you…

Jerry Irving

2 Likes

Today I found this fruit growing wild by the lake.

I think it is some kind of eggplant relative. This fruit was growing on a stem that was covered in many small thorns. Can anyone identify this species?

Jerry Irving

1 Like

I think it is Solanum viarum. Does anyone happen to want some of its seeds?

Jerry Irving

1 Like

Yes, worth noting too we should support GTS and submit seed to thru the distribution point. Afterall, we would not have this opportunity to share seed without this community. I may add some tree seeds to the serendipity box, but I’m really going to focus on supporting GTS and sending seed for the community distribution.

So if we have enough tree and shrub seeds, we need a seed steward. Any takers?

Maybe next year would be a starting point to initiate seed increases? And should we focus on varieties that only produce edible fruits? There was another thread for mostly apples…

The quava seed I had saved may be dead…apparently its only viable for less then a year. They are small seeds like eggplant seed. I’ll still complete a germination test but Im not hopeful.

3 Likes