Crop Promotion & Discovery

I think it would be interesting to exchange notes/explore crops that we feel are worthy of more attention. The discovery of new potential crops to breed is one thing I hope to gain from a discussion.

I’d like to start with the humble ground cherry.

For me, ground cherries serve as a tasty treat while in the garden. I look forward to inspecting the sprawling bushes loaded with ripening cherries surrounded by papery husks. I look carefully around and below the vegetation in search of dropped cherries. Sometimes I may get a handful, sometimes none at all. Sometimes they drop unripe cherries due to high winds or rain. Sometimes they are perfectly ripe and plump. Sometimes they taste deliciously sweet like a mixture of pineapple and grape. Sometimes they taste really different in a bad way. I find this bit of randomness intriguing and and exciting. It’s almost like a box of chocolates.

Due to all that variability, the selections I make feel meaningful.

Additionally, it is not recognized by the local bird population as food (maybe due to the papery husk). I am relived by that.

From my observations so far, it seems to prefer regular rainfall and temperatures in the 70’s and 80’s. It appears to not need fertile soil. It has some ability to grow in partial shade. Taste seems to be affected by temperature and rainfall.

I would recommend it to those who can get at least a 75 days of temperatures within 50 degrees to 90 degrees. Additionally, those who meet that criteria and also who can expect to get rain at least 5 or 6 times during that period would be good candidates for a good harvest and experience.

2 Likes

We really enjoy fathen, Chenopodium album (I think it’s called lamb’s quarters in the US). We collect seed and sow it deliberately (just by broadcasting). You can see it in the bottom left and right in this bed also containing lettuce, peas, some frilly mustards, barley, sunflowers and California poppies among other things. It seems to enjoy company.

2 Likes

A whole lot of fruiting perennials spring to mind for me. Particularly when you factor in how many of them are ornamental, shade tolerant, drought tolerant, and/or nitrogen fixers.

Currants are delicious, thornless, very easy to clone, and have a lot of variability in flavor. On top of that, there are a whole bunch of different species that could be crossed in interesting ways, some native to Europe and some to North America.

Gooseberries are closely related, and could use even more breeding attention. They’re even tastier, but unfortunately almost all of them have nasty thorns. Captivator comes close to being thornless – it has small, soft thorns as a baby, and no thorns at all when it’s mature. Gooseberries can be crossed with currants: jostaberry is a thornless gooseberry / black currant cross. So there are tantalizing hints that it’s possible to breed these for thornlessness and maintain deliciousness.

Seaberry has a lot of potential. I think it’s not really there for most people yet, but with a small amount of breeding work, it could be. Right now, they’re very sour and thorny, but I’ve seen at least one person showing a bush they grew from a seed that was thornless and tasted exactly like tangerines. It was a random seed from a batch of 200 seeds they bought online. This is particularly interesting because it’s a nitrogen-fixing bush with a very high fat content. If the taste could be improved and the thorns bred out, this would be a highly desirable crop nutritionally.

Beautyberries are beautiful, native to North America, and I’ve heard they have a very mild flavor, almost tasteless. The flavor is pleasant when it’s concentrated, however. These could be bred for stronger flavor. They’re thornless, and their leaves are a mosquito repellant. A tasty ornamental that repels mosquitoes and doesn’t take up much space or leave a mess? Everyone wants that!

Goumi berry is another nitrogen-fixing bush. There’s not a lot of variability in flavor – most people seem to say all their varieties taste like mildly tart cherries – but they’re supposed to be tasty and productive, and they’re not invasive, unlike their cousins, autumn olive and silverberry.

Prickly pear could be bred to be completely thornless. Right now, the closest it gets to being thornless is to have no giant thorns, but still all the particularly nasty tiny glochids. If this species could be bred to be glochid-free, and still have delicious fruit, wow.

Dragonfruit would benefit immensely from having its thorns bred out and its cold hardiness increased. Right now, only one seedless cultivar exists: Sin Espinas. It apparently has a very good flavor, though it’s not among the very best or among the most cold hardy. Making a lot of crosses with it, including backcrossing to reinforce the thornlessness as needed, may be good way to breed top-notch-flavored and/or more-cold-hardy-than-most thornless cultivars.

Feijoa seems to have a fascinatingly large amount of untapped potential:

Loquats, which are mostly grown as ornamentals, may have just as much untapped potential waiting for someone to breed them seriously.

Chokeberries may, too. I gathered fruit from a local wild tree this year, and the jam I made from the fruits tasted almost exactly like blueberry jam. The fruits are very tart and astringent raw, unpalatably so, but if they can be used to make “blueberry” jam in a place that has hot dry summers and alkaline soil, on a small tree that’s productive and thornless and grows wild in a desert . . . I mean, that’s interesting.

Spicebush is a shade tolerant bush that is native to North America and hardy to zone 4. The whole plant, from berries to leaves to twigs, is edible and tastes somewhat similar to cinnamon and clove, which are large tropical trees. It seems to me that a lot of breeding could be done with it to produce cultivars that taste just as great as the large tropical trees, and can be grown in a small space in a back yard.

Tulips, stocks, cannas, and dahlias are all edible flowers that taste good and have been eaten extensively in the past. They’ve fallen out of fashion to eat in the past century. I say let’s bring them back and start breeding them for flavor again.

The same goes quadruple for roses. They used to be bred for their fruits, as well as their flowers. Rose hips are delicious. Rose petals are delicious, too. Let’s breed better-and-better-flavored thornless roses that make big yummy fruits.

Yucca aloifolia and Yucca baccata are unusual yucca species that make big, tasty, sweet fruit. Super drought tolerant, being desert plants. And yes the tips of the leaves are poky, but you can snip those tips off with scissors without hurting the plant (many people do that with yuccas in landscapes), so that’s a lot easier to deal with than thorns. Both species’ fruits have been prized by indigenous people.

The most common yucca species, Adam’s Needle, is equally edible. Do you want an extremely drought tolerant, perennial, hardy to zone 5 green bell pepper? That’s what their flower petals and immature seed pods taste like.

Che and jujube are drought tolerant fruit trees that could be bred for better thornlessness. Their fruits are tasty and often enjoyed in Asia. There are a few thornless cultivars of each species. Not many, but the fact that there are some shows that it’s possible.

Carob could be bred for greater cold hardiness and longer shelf life of the green pods, which are supposed to taste delicious, so that they could be shipped to people in colder climates.

The same goes for ice cream bean.

Hopniss and hog peanut could be bred for greater flavor and productivity. Both are perennial protein crops that aren’t tree nuts, so they could be very useful nutritionally.

Prairie turnip (Pediomelum esculentum) needs to be grown more often, period. Select it for whatever you want – just grow it, and eat it, and share it. It used to be a very common food for indigenous people, it’s said to be delicious, and it’s now extremely hard to find because of all the habitat destruction to turn wild prairies into farmland. I think it deserves to have its seeds spread everywhere, so that the species can keep thriving and delighting many people.

Pigeon pea would benefit from faster days to maturity, so that it could be grown as an annual in more northern climates. Same goes for moringa. More cold hardiness, so they could be grown as perennials, would be nice, too.

Miracle fruit could use a lot of breeding attention to get a little more cold hardiness into it. Right now, it will die if the temperature hits freezing (32 degrees Fahrenheit). But it’s in the sapote family, so maybe it could be crossed with white sapote, which is said to be delicious and hardy to 24 degrees Fahrenheit. Miracle fruit could also use breeding attention to make the fruit more flavorful and delicious, which might happen if you crossed it with white sapote. This species is particularly worth putting a lot of breeding effort into because the miraculin it contains is unique: we’ve never found it in any other species. Imagine what you could achieve if you crossed it with white sapote, or any other delicious fruits in its family.

Any delicious tropical fruits, in general, would benefit from being landraced in zones they can barely survive in, and handing their seeds over to zones just a wee bit colder. (Obviously bananas and citrus are other examples.) Betcha a few dozen people doing that per species could accomplish a lot in a mere few decades.

7 Likes

Monkfruit is another one that could use a lot of domestication work. It’s a perennial cucurbit that is unfortunately tropical and really, really finicky about growing conditions. It’s the source of monkfruit extract, which is a natural non-nutritive sweetener that has no aftertaste, unlike stevia. Maybe it could be crossed with some other species to try to give it more resilience and ability to be grown more widely, and still keep the valuable sweetening properties?

And how about Rubus chingii var. suavissimus, a close relative of raspberry with very sweet, sugar substitute leaves, just like stevia? It’s perennial and hardy to zone 5. It has thorns, but they’re mild. Maybe crossing it with thornless raspberries could help produce a thornless, resilient perennial that grows non-nutritive sweeteners, even in colder climates? That might be really neat.

1 Like

I can confirm that the wild beautyberries around here are both pretty and have very little flavor to them… I hadn’t thought about trying to breed them for a stronger flavor. That might be a fun and interesting project. Of course, I also haven’t tried concentrating them to see if I actually find a stronger flavor enjoyable lol.

1 Like

Since you have so many wild bushes around, that’s a lot of genetic diversity to play with! That’s probably a project you could do casually, if it turns out you like the flavor and feel like pursuing it.

You could harvest berries from each bush into separate bowls and process each bush’s berries into its own batch of juice / jam / whatever. Taste each one separately. Plant seeds from anything you think tastes better than average in some spot where you can find the resulting bushes to harvest when they’re bearing. Rinse and repeat.

Assuming you do like the flavor. :wink:

Weird Explorer did a video about beautyberries in which he made it sound like the juice form them could have a really strong flavor. I’m not sure if that’s a species-wide trait or not. (Knowing plants, it could go either way.) Here’s the video, in case you’re interested:

His reaction to the flavor being very strong made me think, “I want to try that mixed with something mild and tasty, like apple sauce.”

I’ve made elderberry apple sauce before, and it’s great. (Adding sugar to the elderberry juice before mixing it with the apple sauce was a necessity, by the way. Elderberries are very bitter.) If beautyberries have a very strong flavor, they may work really well mixed with something mild and tasty.

1 Like

I trialed Luffa acutangula, or vining okra this year and am pleased with the results. I have not sampled the flavor yet. I am happy to be able to produce sponges from the dried, mature fruit. I use the sponges in the shower. They are very abrasive and provide an excellent scrub!

1 Like

Woad grows fabulous here, especially during the colder months. It loves disturbed soil like tilled fields.

The wild brassica Caulanthus crassicaulis, thick-stem wild cabbage, could have potential. It grows in the deep desert.

The viola family tastes great both as leaves and flowers.

Three species of claytonia live near me. They form a species complex.

A number of wild parsleys and buiscuitroots grow in the nearby mountains without irrigation. Seeds might serve as spice or medicine. I eat leaves every spring. We could select for larger roots.

I eat glacial lily leaves and flowers each spring. I suppose the bulbs could be eaten.

People say that they eat dandelions. I feel horrified by that, but someone could select for less latex.

Intermediate wheatgrass grows all over my valley. It’s seeds look like miniature wheat kernels. Could it be crossed with wheat? Could selection occur for larger kernels?

Some of our common weeds beg to be more domesticated: purslane, red-root amaranth, lambsquarters, dwarf mallow, foxtail grass, some of the wild solanums and physallis, black medic, chickweed, atriplex,

Someone from Utah should domesticate sego lily and Brigham tea.

1 Like

To anyone who’s never tried fresh carrots straight out of the garden: they taste way better than store carrots. It’s not a little difference; it’s an enormous difference.

My favorite carrot is the common Danvers. I recommend to plant way more carrot seeds than you think you need so your chances of success will be higher. I also recommend to plant deeper than most seed packets recommend. I plant them about 1/4” to 1/3” deep and have no germination problems.

I pulled some carrots out of the ground today, and they were so good. My kids ate them too. They get excited when they see new colors they never knew were available. They got to taste purple and yellow today.

1 Like

My 8 year old showed me this dandelion video on his iPad. We both laughed out loud:

1 Like

Ha ha ha!

I was totally unprepared for that!!!

I’m guilty of this. Two years running we’ve harvested early-spring dandelion from some of the more shaded parts of our yard. Because of the shade, some of them quickly grow leaves 10"-12" long or more and as long as there are no blooming flowers yet, they sauté up rather nicely in bacon grease. I collected seed last year from the best-leaved, least-bitter plants once they flowered, with plan to do some selection over time to improve exactly those traits. :grin:

That was… not what I was expecting.

3 Likes

Sweet tea is a really big thing where I live. Has anyone grown tea plants before? I’ve done a little research and found a good webpage about it.

Here:
Tea Plant Varieties | TeaSource.

I am thinking about trying this in 2025. I have too much planned now.

2 Likes

The native American caffeine plant is Yaupon Holly which has an interesting history, with the British wanting to protect their tea empire. It would grow a lot easier in North America.

2 Likes

Wow, very interesting. I have to try it.

That might actually grow wild around here. Maybe I will see if I can find it wild and take cuttings.

This has really gotten me excited. It’s a really good feeling to be turned on to something new that seems promising.

I bought some from Amazon and hopefully will be able to try this weekend.

2 Likes

For anyone wondering, that Yaupon Holly Tea is high quality and very good. I am shocked I have not heard about it before. It is probably wild in this area and hope to identify and collect cuttings from multiple plants in different areas. I drink tea everyday from plants that were grew thousand of miles away. Who knew there is a wild species near where I live that is even better quality than what I have been drinking my whole life.

3 Likes

It has a better taste to most folks who have tried both than Yerba Mate its South American cousin.

1 Like