Your presentations, workshops, and writing (examples to share)

We want to support any of you in making presentations, workshops, or writing. There are some magical editors here too if you want help with writing.

I’ve been swapping slides with a few of you, for example @KayEverts who borrowed a few of my photos, then I took some of her slides and ideas and added them to my presentations, both improved. Love to do more of this, and you might see your own photos in some of these slides.

Going to Seed is an all-volunteer organization so I can’t promise anything (but we are listening and want to support!), and I know this online community is collaborative, committed to open sourcing everything and has major skills.

So I will go first, and you can use any of my photos, request others you need, and tell us what you might benefit from.

Recent presentation - Local Foods for Local Seeds SLides

Video of the presentation.

Other presentation-- Local Seeds-- includes identifying squash species and crosses to avoid.

Share what you have made, and ask for what you need help with.

(I would love some regular help with data entry from our (local) workshops, research on the center of origin of every single species, and photos of plant diversity. )

9 Likes
2 Likes

thanks Julia you fell right, when you wrote this I started writing a presentation on landrace gardening to lead a workshop this summer with members of our French association.
If those who have already made a similar document can share it here we will save a lot of time by recovering photos, texts…
Of course when I finish I will share my document here ! :smiley:

2 Likes

Stephane and all, soon I will post a link to our presentation 3 months ago about breeding (“café agricole”). Will be in french.
Video quality is not over the top, but it is not too bad:

• dehybridizing a f1 tomato: technical itinerary (Kathy Butler), 1/2h
  • genetic basics of conventionnal breeding (Camille Verly), 3/4h
  • introduction to landrace gardening (Lofthouse) and evolutionary plant breeding (Ceccarelli) by me, 3/4h
    Including power points.
    I will send you the ppoints in PM shortly. Please do not hesitate to ask me for any joint effort, or “relectures” for a french audience. I would love to help. + There is an international gathering of seed networks taking place in Antibes from the 30th of september yo the 5th of october. I believe translation of Joseph book will be ready + we may do a podcast with “d’une graine aux autres” so if you can please join in. I think landrace gardening can refresh the whole french and european seed scene, but it will be mych much much easier if we are numerous.
5 Likes

Thanks Thomas, looking forward to seeing these!

Thanks Julia, I’m re-inspired. Now all i need is some invitations to present.
gm

Just received the PDF from my friend. Video still not edited, but will come! So it is the third part of the exposé.
Café Agricole N° 9 (1).pdf (22.4 MB)
On page 2 there is 2 first pictures taken by Kathy Butler to explain her selection during the dehybridizing process, when she looked for powdery mildew resistance, and all the last ones pages were more basics of more conventionnal selection. We did not use then eventually. You will see part of my organisation with cucurbits.

Thanks Thomas, I will draw inspiration from it to build my presentation document landrace !

1 Like

I gave a presentation at for the Fort Bragg Garden club this afternoon. There will be a video, here are the slides. Turned out to be a surprisingly receptive audience. I think they were surprised too.

4 Likes

Compliments Julia, really informative, low-barred and beautiful presentation.
I see now, why you’ve asked in another topic for photos of plants suffering next to healthy plants.

Would it be an idea to have a separate forum section with differing categories for photos which people could add free for others to use? Out of which people who want to make a similar presentation could sift, pick and chose.

Some snapshots people carelessly upload are priceless good examples in terms of what we’re talking about on this forum, but if people have to dig through the whole forum or dive into the internet to find examples it takes a lot more time then when people up load their beautiful exemplary shots in one place specially.
Maybe make it a friendly competition?

1 Like

Thank you! I worry in the images it looks like lotta pests, but the presentation is about celebrating those-- mindset shift-- and I need a lot of repitition to get that through to people :slight_smile:

Great idea for the forum section, created, and friendly competition is a great idea, but I’ll leave that to you to propose or organized. Any prize ideas?

As more and more people try gardening, they find it’s not so easy and cheap as the idea of gardening they have in their head. The fewer they grow the better they know how i should garden it seems.
Landracegardening is coming from a real place where humans face problems nature throws at our unnatural gardens. Trying to fix it using more extensive inputs is out of reach for most nowadays. Still people want to grow gardens, even more then ever. I think people that are pût off by some photos of plagues that pesture most of us should not get that much attention. Not much to gain there. We’re better off with fewer realistic folk than winning over every half assed wannabe. It will backfire.

Thanks a thousand times, it will save me a lot of time to prepare my document!

1 Like

I agree, I think it’s awesome!

Thanks everybody, here is the recording

4 Likes

Great video. Personal story sucked me right in. Lovely! Hope you’ll get some more back at the end of this season. Great and inspiring to see you do this! @stephane_rave are you going to do something like that? Please record it. I’ve been banging on about it on telegram groups, but not many people get it, i’d love to be able to just send them a presentation in French like this on the Tube.

@julia.dakin , I really respect what you’re doing ! :pray: :green_heart:
You not only help people in your community but you also help us far away by sharing your work, your commitment, your enthusiasm… it will inspire me deeply… less school, more fun!

@Hugo , yes I will do a Landrace Gardening animation with our gardeners in our association this fall (if you want to come and testify you will be welcome). Like Julia coming with seeds, crops, pictures of my garden…will be more persuasive.
I would also have an extra season in hindsight, which would allow me to be more comfortable. I would share the French slideshow here for francophones.
However I didn’t plan to film this, we will surely as usual an audio recording with some selected passages to broadcast on the local radio and podcast.

1 Like

that’s great Julia. Love your presentation style.
gm