Zero Input Agriculture- Plant Profile: Tomato

Of course.
We call them hanging or scrub/mob/bouquet tomato (colgar/fregar for Spanish or penjar/fregar/ramallet for Catalan). Most of the time we eat scrubbed on a toast with olive oil, some ham, cheese or any cured meat or sausages. You can also scrub some garlic on top of it to give it extra flavor. The toast from the bread is typically made from whole-wheat flour, hard exterior with soft interior. Something like this but more whole wheat instead of white bread. At home, we put seeds on the bread to give an extra punch, like sunflower seed, hulless squash seed, chia… or raisins even.

My tomatoes look very different from the photo. Mine are more pink/orange/white on the exterior. Some are more flat, more round or with lumps.

Those are my tomatoes for this year. I let the red spider take over and put web all over it. I find it helps to keep bugs away and under control. Some of the tomatoes suffer from virus or bacteria, but only a fraction less than 2%.

Probably it would be nice to save some tomato seeds from those survivors.

Another use is for a base for cooking, put olive oil, garlic and onions in a pan, let them cook and then add a tomato in chunks. Now you got a nice base to make stew or stir fry. We make the sauce for pasta that way. Then you can add some cream or more tomatoes.

We also hang the spicy peppers in the same fashion.

tomate caña

Other way of store the tomatoes traditionally is dry them under the sun over some canes. The sun hits hard and you can dry them outside. Sometimes, at night, we enter inside the tray made of cane to avoid the dew and prevent it from rotting.
And then you use those dry tomatoes in any kind of meal.

We also air dry other food like figs or grapes. Here you can see the structure of the tray.

secar caña

We also use canes to hang the tomato plants, we plant in the middle of the structure and let the plant grow and support on the horizontal canes.

Other types or preservation is canning, but I do not think is that old. We put tomatoes in a glass container and boil it.

Additional types of preservation that I saw, is just putting the tomatoes half sliced on some jars with olive oil, they are ready to go.

Apart from long term storage, one of the particularities of this type of tomato is that the flesh is easy to remove from the skin.

Adding to the topic, my neighbor grew some hanging tomatoes without any water this season. They survive more than 5 months without any rain in full drought and no mulch. The tomatoes were small, like cherry size but the flavor was very intense. I got some tomatoes from him and saved some seeds. I will try next year to plant them.

The recommendation I received for dry farming tomatoes is to increase the spacing between the plants. We also apply dry farming to melons and brassicas, mostly cabbage.

7 Likes