About the Seed Program

I have one plan in the works to help us predict – will discuss at the upcoming meeting.

1 Like

These to me are the problems that you want to have. And the more the program expands and people order more and more GTS seeds the more extra seed can be taken onboard each year from the growers, or rotate the growers to get different samples of different varietal mix ins to each landrace.

1 Like

There’s also the possibility of eventually having packets of one landrace from one grower, if that person sends a ton of seeds in. I imagine it would be too much to take on right now, but it seems like something well worth expanding into eventually.

1 Like

This year I’m not really selecting for anything, but I don’t plan on keeping any of the pure red corn myself as I disliked the texture. I’m just taking the biggest ears from all the other variations and saving those for myself and my friends/family. I’ll keep some of the heavy tiller mini cobs as well. I’ll likely cross mine next year with Silver Queen to increase the white kernal count and flavor, and maybe 1 more variety.

Y’all just let me know how much to send back and I’ll send it this winter.

2 Likes

My main goal is breeding crops that are familiar to Southern growers, but with much higher genetic diversity and resilience. A landrace Silver Queen for example, that needs no fertilizers or water would be a huge deal in my area. I find most growers stick to what they know and what they like, so breeding something that looks and taste very similar, but a landrace. It could be a good way to mainstream landraces in general. Either way it’s mostly about breeding zero inputs varieties for the South for me.

4 Likes

I am so excited about the Seed program. Having a landrace community here is a dream come true. Then on top of that having a way to easily get multiple Landrace seeds to start off with? Completely amazing. Makes me so happy!

7 Likes