Apple trees for high altitudes

Inspired by @UnicornEmily thread on whats inspiring in apples (What kinds of apple varieties would excite you?) i decided to write down my (already ongoing) project for apple trees.

The background:

• My parents farm is at almost 1100 meters above sealevel. Commercial fruit growing in Switzerland happens mostly between 400 and 600 meters above sealevel. Traditional orchards with standard trees are also mostly below 800 meters.

• My mother and I are very interested in fruit growing and have planted many or even most of the apple (and other fruit) varieties that are reccomended for high altitudes and available to us.

• Since we are an organic farm (and I am not interested in using most of the organic sprays, anyways, too) robust varieties are a must.

The goals are:

• Evaluating which varieties are suitable under our conditions. Grafting over the ones that are not, with the ones that have proven themselves.

• Breeding new, tasty, healthy apple varieties for different uses and with different ripening times that thrive under my conditions.

The different stages in reaching this goal are:

1. Identifying and testing cultivars that may be suitable. This is the stage we are in right now. We have planted almost all apple that are available in Switzerland and said to be suitable for altitudes AND healthy. As a next step I have analysed the swiss national information system for the conservation and sustainable use of plant ressources (PGREL) to identify accessions which were found at altitudes above 800 meters and selected those that have favourable test results for disease resistance and taste. The resulting list contains 35 accessions/varieties, with 20 we don’t yet have. I am planing to add 5 varieties that have already proven themselves. This makes 40 trees. With these I want to make a small orchard on M26 or another weak to middle growing rootstock, so I can evaluate them sooner than standard trees. I want to plant 3 trees of every accession/ variety so my results have at least some scientific merit.
    Back to the results we already have: My mother has been planting standard trees for the last 20 years. Since these are late to come into fruit and since they grow slower than in more favorable climates, we are only now coming to the first conclusions which varieties prove themselves.

2. Indentifying weaknesses in cultivars that are suitable and finding breeding partners for them to correct these faults. This happens at the same time as step 1. Additionally, I try to stay aware what kind of problems are described in the literature for my trees.

3. Making controlled crosses and grow out the offspring. I plan to cull heavily from the beginning if the seedlings are not vigorous or unhealthy.

4. Graft the offspring on small rootstock to evalutate them but also let the original tree grow and evaluate them in this form too.

List of cultivars that have proven themselves in no particular order:

1. Prinz Albrecht von Preussen

2. James Grieve

3. Jaques Lebel

4. Red Astrachan

5. Gelber Edelapfel/ Golden noble

6. Beauty of Kent

7. Charlamofsky/ Duchess of Oldenburg

8. Piros

Some that show promise:

1. Cellini

2. Retina

3. Kaiser Willhelm

Some questions or roadblocks:

1. How do avoid I selecting for triploidy while selecting for inital vigor? Not that I have something against triploid varieties per se, but they have significant drawbacks in not being suitable as breeding parents.

2. Many varieties that are known to do well in high altitudes are themselves already triploid and are therefore not useable as breeding parents. While I can evaluate a variety and see if it has merit itself, I can not improve it by breeding. This frustrates me…

3. The long timespans involved. I am 28 and have therefore (I guess) about 50 years to go. I hope I can achieve something in this time.

4 Likes

I am including here some photos of the apples I mentioned above, since a) who doesn`t like to brag with pretty apples and b) pictures really improve threads with such a dense body of text, like above.

Piros apples

James Grieve with some Triomphe de vienne pear

Cellini

Jaques Lebel

Prinz Albrecht von Preussen

3 Likes

Excellent project @Laura. My eldest grandchild is only 5 years younger than you so long term projects aren’t really worth getting into for me. Nevertheless we plant lots of apple seedlings. At worst, they are a source of woody biomass and at best a good apple. Those in between will make quite acceptable vinegar. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am at 3600ft in the U.S. In a high mountain valley. I am just starting on my permaculture orchard/food forest Duchess of Oldenburg is one of the apple trees I am considering, so I am glad to see it does well for you.

Great project! I wish I had been able to start something like this when I was your age …

Thank you @RayS and @MashaZ for your kind words. While my age is definitely an advantage in starting a project myself you can always buy seeds from an already ongoing project! And you are of course right Ray, that just playing around with random seedlings is great too. I have a row of seedling apples in the garden and it is so satisfying to observe them grow. I remember the first time they were really visible above the grass I could have jumped with joy!

Hey @Angel, then you are almost at the same altitude as me, only two zones lower. What are your challenges in your location?

Mine are:
A warm end of winter and then Frost in spring, somewhat poor and shallow soil (even though I personally am very happy with our soil and feel that it is very good for mountain soil, it is objectively worse than the soil in the lowlands), a shorter season than some varieties would like, strong winds, and my sloping land, which leads to increased snow pressure on trees in the winter.

3 Likes

Last frost usually around June 7 and first frost around September 3, so short season. Hot days and cold nights, might be 99f during the day but by morning it will be 45f. I have pockets of clay, next to sandy, next to gravel, never know what your going to run into till you put the shovel in. Dry summers. I also am on a pretty steep slope 20 to 30 deg. Deer, rabbit, gopher and packrat pressure. On the plus side I get good sun and am planting near the creek so we get good morning dew.

Yes, sounds definitely like a challenging location and I am very interested in hearing how your plantings turn out!

On the bright side, you are going to have the prettiest red apples ever (Cool night temperatures in fall are one of the most important factors in the synthesis of anthocyans).

What varieties did you plan to plant apart from Charlamofsky?

2 Likes

Haven’t yet doing this in phases. Thinking of Famuse for it’s pollinator. Also planning eventually to plant Arkansas black with Ashmead’s kernel. This year I am planting 2 plums and an apricot. Building a permaculture orchard so trying to plant this out so no 2 trees of same species are planted next to each other.

1 Like