Brassica ID

Does anyone recognize this plant? I haven’t planted anything here in 18 months and I don’t know what this is.

1 Like

Wild mustard probably

It’s not wild. I planted some brassicas there 18 months ago and they made seeds. This is a volunteer. I think I planted rutabagas there but I’ve never seen any swollen roots form. Also the photos online of rutabaga leaves don’t look like these to me, so I don’t know.

I’m guessing maybe rutabagas or kale. I don’t remember planting kale but I could have.

it looks like a WASABINO mustard foot. Brassica rapa var. japonica

Ah okay it must be mustard. Thanks to both of you.

I guess I’ll be saving the seeds from this one. Out of all the stuff planted way back then this one species wants to keep coming back every time I till like a weed. I kept waiting for it to make a bulb cause I thought it was rutabaga all this time.

My guess was field mustard because it’s feral across the USA. And from the pic it looks feral plant like, not so much domestic, pretty this certain variety. Oops I did say wild and not feral.

here the wild mustard doesn’t have the leaves cut. there it looks like Japanese mustard Wasabino or Mizuna…, something like that

Seems to match some of the Japanese mustard pictures online. I remember planting a patch of something way back when that looked like this but I just didn’t know what it was I thought it was rutabaga. It self seeded and grew much healthier this time. Hopefully it tastes good.

I’m inspired by Shane Simonsen to focus on things with the highest return on effort and cull the species that don’t jump out of the ground. Gardening is just one of many hobbies for me so I need low effort high reward. Maybe this will accidentally be one of those.

2 Likes