Mystery Turnip! Might be a Radish?

Yesterday while working in the garden I was thinning parsnips and turnips. One section of turnips had all gone to flower and no bulbing up. The flower petals were a purplish lavender color. @Joseph_Lofthouse assured me they are NOT a turnip. The leaves are smooth and very tasty. No fuzzy leaves as you would expect from a turnip. The blossoms are very tasty too.

I used a plant identification app and it says radish. Leaves are smooth unlike most radishes in my garden. When I pulled a couple of plants they had skinny fibrous roots that were not really edible.

The leaves and flowers are beautiful and extremely delicious. The leaves are larger than my hand.

I’m going to continue growing them out and see how the pods look and taste. I’ll save seed simply to see what they produce in the future. Lovely food in the garden. Let me know if you have any ideas on this one.

1 Like

Looks like radish to me. I got a new radish last fall called China Jade. It has smooth, fuzzless leaves that are quite tasty. I believe it is a fall radish and those I planted last fall made nice big white roots. Those I planted this spring to cross into my landrace haven’t made much as far as roots.

I only became aware a few seasons ago from reading on Sandhill Preservation web site that there are both fall and spring radishes, the difference is the fall ones just bolt if planted in the spring. I discovered the fall ones are also winter hardy. This is the first year I’ve had them both blooming at the same time, wonder what kind of Frankinradish I’m creating now, assuming they are even the same species.

2 Likes

Could it be a rogue forage type Radish? There are varieties bred for big tops for grazing/cover crop and not bulbs.

The seed label was for purple and white globe turnips. So it’s obviously mislabeled. I’m happy with the flavor. Just curious what really came. I’ve been purchasing landrace and mixed seeds. So I guess we take our chances. I do love surprises.

Looks like radish to me too :man_shrugging:
Or maybe black mustard? I’ve not seen them with flowers like that, but the roots you saw don’t seem like awesome radish candidates either. Though it’s not far off the size of one of the skinny little daikon planted in our clay this year

1 Like

My wasabi radishes, which I got in a free packet from Baker Creek Seeds this year, are flowering right now, and they look exactly like that. Even though I wasn’t excited about a hot and spicy radish, I figured I’d try it, and I’m wildly excited about the pretty purple flowers now.

1 Like