Nodines landrace crop notes 2024

Holder for 2024 notes.

I’ll be creating a cucumber grex this year and continuing my muskmelon selection. Also growing the watermelon mix from gts with the Weeks watermelon from last year. Will try to keep progress tracked here.

My cucumber grow out consist of Joseph’s mostly green pickling cucumber, corinito, salt & pepper, and EFN’s Dual Purpose Pickling Grex.

The muskmelons I’m just continuing selection on.

So far the cucumbers have been heavily infested with cucumber beetles. I’m not sure why there seem to be so many this year. Some plants are faring better than others, and it looks like I’ll have to replace a few of the cucumber plants with replacements. I did not label each individual plant and so will not know which variety they are. Every time I try to start a locally adapted Grex it seems I have huge insect issues. Which I guess makes sense, and I would rather have high insect pressure selecting the best genetics the first year, but I’ve grown cucumbers countless times before, and never had insect pressure like this. Serendipity? Bad Luck? Am I communicating telepathically with the insect world? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes