Red Gardens should be doing landrace

This youtube channel is a guy in ireland that does tons and tons of tests of different gardening methods. He’s awesome in so many ways, but we really need to see if we can get him into our group. I think he’d quickly transform landrace growing for ireland almost immediately. He’s great at tracking data, tracks everything, and watches it all so he’d be great all around. We just need someone like
@Joseph_Lofthouse
or
@julia.dakin to talk through the whole thing with him :slight_smile: (or someone local in ireland).

1 Like

I’ve watched a lot of his videos and support him on Patreon (but I probably won’t forever). Whenever he does a seed-saving or variety trial, I get exasperated that he’s not in on landrace-fever.

[Joseph Larsen]
lol exactly. I’ve been catching up on some of his 2022 videos and he talks so much about it, and i’m just thinking - man landrace could solve nearly every problem you’re talking about. I’ve recommended it to him once, but i’m not sure he took me seriously

[Emily Sorensen]
Watching the video you linked, wow, sounds like Ireland gardeners are in a rough spot right now. Those are probably people who would benefit a great deal from a local landrace gardening group.

Interesting video and person, thanks for sharing this. Can we come back to this in about a month about how to recruit him? Because we need to consolidate and improve websites once the initial round of seeds go out to you guys, upgrade the community spaces, and change the model to donation (now we have fiscal sponsorship, things might change soon). Right now things are a little (lot) janky. But I agree he needs to get landrace-fever!!

1 Like

[Alma Naylor]
I’ve had similar thoughts regarding some US youtubers. If someone like Justin Rhodes caught the landrace fever, the amount of people that could be influenced is astronomical.

Not to mention MIgardener. I think it’s unlikely we could get him on board, because he’s really into preserving heirloom varieties, and he runs a seed store to that effect. But he is really into seed-saving, which means it’s not impossible. We can ask him if he wants to try out a landrace variety of something neat on his channel. He may very well like both. There’s no reason landraces and heirlooms are fundamentally opposed. In fact, most gardeners who practice seed-saving probably have some of both.

[Julia Dakin]
He’s surprisingly into mixing basil varieties in this video so maybe there’s hope

[Emily Sorensen]
Oh, cool! Yeah, and come to think of it, I bought Tess’s Land Race Currant tomato seeds from his store last year. So he’s clearly not fundamentally opposed. And he’s really into saving your own seeds, and he doesn’t just use the seeds in his seed store – he saves his own seeds every year and uses them. So yeah, there actually may be a decent chance he’d be interested!

[Joseph Larsen]
I think the main thing with most of these growers is getting a fundamental (even if just a simple) understanding of landracing before they grow the seeds. Years ago I bought all of Joseph Lofthouse’s seeds because I thought with the selection he’s done they’d do awesome in my garden. I planted 10 of the muskmelons and none of them really grew that well and I just assumed it’s because I wasn’t good at gardening. The more I read about landraces though the more I understand that the problem wasn’t in my growing, it’s that I didn’t have a population big enough to pick ones that work in my garden to start adapting them to me. So if they did a small trial with 5 or 10 plants they might think that landracing doesn’t really work

[Emily Sorensen]
And he doesn’t do sponsored product deals for fancy garden gadgets and fuss about the one and only true way to grow things, like many gardening YouTubers do. Yeah, he might actually be interested. That would be cool!

[Emily Sorensen]
@Joseph Larsen
Oh, interesting! That sounds more like them not being locally adapted more than anything, though. I mean, in theory, doesn’t a landrace give you more genetic diversity to work with than an heirloom variety would?

In theory, sure, you can pick an heirloom variety that was bred for your climate, and get more stable results than a landrace that was bred for another climate. But wouldn’t a landrace that was bred for your own climate would be even better?

It’s a legitimate question. I don’t know. It just sounds likely to me.

[Joseph Lofthouse]
Joseph and I live so close together that i would have expected my muskmelons to thrive for him. There are hundreds of influences that contribute to local adaptation, so it’s always a roll of the dice. The more seeds, with more genetic diversity, the more likely to find something that works.

[Joseph Larsen]
actually
@Joseph Lofthouse
that was when I lived in missouri. Now I would assume that your seeds would do awesome now that i live in a closer climate

[Julia Dakin]
Well I live in a damp cold foggy climate, with opposite type of soil, and those melons yielded better than any other melons by far. Just sayin :slight_smile:

[Joseph Larsen]
I really think my main problem was that I messed up transplanting them. I’d never grown canteloupe before and didn’t realize they didn’t really appreciate being transplanted. I also think that there was just a pest that killed them all

[Jesse Ilonen]
@Joseph Larsen
I would guess transplanting is the main issue if you have problems with cucurbits. I have known direct seeding is better for some time, but it’s really only this year that I got concrete experience how much better direct seeding is. It’s not that direct seeding works better because they dont get transplant shock, but it works better even compared to transplants that dont seem to get transplant shock and “explode” in growth after planting. This year I made small trial (small because it’s not considered to be possible to grow them outdoors with direct seeding) direct seeding melons and watermelons. Once they got going it was shocking how fast they can grow. They went from 2 small true leaves to plant around 30cm across in 10 days, transplants took around 20 days or more to do the same. I did plant much more seeds than I need, but I do the same for transplants too. Direct seeding does seem to create more variance between seedlings and that’s why it’s better to have plenty of seeds, but it also gives more clear signal which seedlings might be better suited for those conditions.

[Emily Sorensen]
I was told somewhere (one of Carol Deppe’s books?) that cucurbits grow a deep taproot, and if you transplant them, that breaks it. If you want drought tolerant, cold tolerant, heat tolerant, or otherwise stress tolerant cucurbits, you want to direct seed so that they’ll have that taproot.

Interestingly, I read somewhere else that apple trees have a really deep taproot, and if you direct sow a seed, you’ll get a way more drought tolerant tree.

I don’t know how many species this is true for, but since drought tolerance is of huge importance to me, and I tend to go looking specifically for drought tolerant crops, I suspect that most of the species or varieties I want have deep taproots.

This is one of the huge reasons I want to direct sow everything.

[Jesse Ilonen]
@Emily Sorensen
I think that might refer to plugging transplants, that can definetely damage tap root and make other damage. Transplants from pot aren’t as sensitive (if you can keep the root bulb intact), but you might get some damage to other roots. I think what’s more important is that in pots roots are confined to small area that is also quite close to surface and thus dries more easily. Even small plants that are direct sown have wide web that goes all directions. Also direct sown plants are accustomed to sun and fluctuations of weather whereas transplants generally are grown in easier conditions. Drought tolerance for your conditions comes with direct sowing. Taproot might be one thing, but I think better just see what works as there must be many other factors in play.

[Emily Sorensen]
Makes sense!

David the Good would be a great person to approach. He’s a big YouTuber who sometimes grows landraces, and is very creative and clever. He saves seeds, he plants fruit trees from seeds, and he seems to have an overall attitude of, “Look, lots of things work, so try things and do what works for you, and don’t get hung up on what people say you ‘should’ do.”

[Joseph Larsen]
ya I know he’s mentioned landraces before. The thing that I really like about Red Gardens is that he’s trying to overcome problems in his garden that landraces would specifically deal with. Things like carrots getting wasted because of carrot flies, or different molds on plants, or winter squash that don’t have long enough to mature. He keeps doing variety trials, but hasn’t yet come up with landracing on his own (i assume that given enough time he will)

[Julia Dakin]
We actually tried,
@Emma Calvert
's idea, but no responses. He’s so into Landrace gardening, with a giant following, we should definitely try again at some point. Maybe access to the seeds will be a good hook.

[Emily Sorensen]
I think that’s a good idea! I really respect him and like his style.

[Joseph Larsen]
ya david is hilarious. i love watching his videos

[Emily Sorensen]
Me, too! He’s a riot, and he’s also full of great information. Teachers who are both entertaining and educational are the best kind.

I gift about 10% of the books that i print. Some to famous authors, bloggers, and you-tubers. Some to seed companies. Some to libraries. A few of them might bear fruit some day.

[Emily Sorensen]
That’s so cool! I gift a lot of the books I write too, for exactly the same reason. Mine are fantasy books, but I totally have an agenda: I want to show people that hope and happiness are possible and worth reaching for, and that cleverness and cooperation are always better than violence. (Grin.)

1 Like

The other thing I like about Red Garden is that based on the way his videos are I think that 90% of his active viewers would want to be part of the landrace community. He’s so open about everything he goes through, and the data / testing of it leads well to this.

I tried to track him down, and sent the following email to the community he seems to be a member of. I hope I didn’t misrepresent the community/method!

Hello!
On the ‘about’ page of the RED Gardens YouTube channel, this community is listed, so I figured this would be my best chance of getting in touch with the nice gentleman who is in those videos. If you could pass this email on to him it would be appreciated.

So… firstly thank you for your videos. And I like your research-based approach. Then as to why I am writing to you - a member of our community shared your ‘Seed transition’ video, and many of us feel that our approach would be very valuable to you, and that if you were to use it, through you it could be very valuable to others.

Now you might here from many people suggesting their ways to you, so, sorry if this is annoying. But I think it will be worth it for you. And there is zero financial interest for me - I am just a random person in England who teaches classical Japanese music but has come across this method recently.

So then - have you heard of Joseph Lofthouse? His approach is, we could call it, the modern landrace approach. I really think it answered so many of your issues with seeds. I shall briefly describe it to you in case such a summary is useful.

So you mentioned about some worried you had regarding saving seed. So far as I remember this included your worries for cross contamination, such that you could only grow one variety of each species for seed saving, and you were really worried that accidental crosses would mess everything up. That is the normal attitude for seed companies. But it is NOT the normal attitude for traditional seed cultures all across the world before the time of Western seed catalogues. So I would like to relieve your worry about that, in some detail. Another of your concerns was ‘reliability’ and I will address that too.

Ok, then let’s consider how the seeds you used to buy were from England, and maybe often even grown further away than that. Also many likely grown by methods quite different from your growing methods. This means the seeds are selected for generic traits and likely biased towards being dependent on chemical agriculture and so on. So let’s think, what could do better on your land? And in our method, the answer takes a little time. But it starts with a hybrid swarm, or at least a grex. Basically, you want as much variety as possible. Heirloom seeds are nice, but they basically all suffer from genetic depression. That’s why the phenomenon of ‘hybrid vigour’ exists - it’s just a sudden relief from genetic depression from the intensive inbreeding of heirloom varieties.

How did traditional societies deal with this? Well, of course they saved their seeds from their own local varieties, but, take Laos for example - each woman grows about 5 varieties of rice, and each village around 20 varieties, something like that according to the academic papers on that topic I have been reading. So already there will be some percentage of crossing happening, even if only small. On top of that, they regularly make seed exchanges over long distances. So on the one hand, they maintain distinct varieties (or really I should say distinct landraces - this is different from the post-seed-catalogue overly pure concept of ‘variety’), but on the other, there is a certain degree of crossing happening which constantly tops up their genetics on an ongoing basis. Hence they avoid genetic depression. And I see the same habits in traditional cultures across the world.

So then why do we start with grexes or hybrid swarms? Because unlike them, we don’t (generally) have well adapted non-inbred communities of plants for our local areas and our chosen methods of agriculture. I mean, who has Mole Valley clay soil no-dig bok choi landrace seeds for sale?

Then with that initial highly diverse bunch of seeds, for whatever it is you’re planting, your first year of growing is not going to be ideal for harvest. The aim that year is just to save the seed from everything that survives. The next year, pretty much same again though since you have a lot of seed now and are actually encouraging crosses, and saving crosses that you notice, you now have lots of seed and so can be a bit more selective, like making loads of seedlings and letting them fight it out a bit, selecting more of the productive plants for seed and so on. But don’t be too selective. For example if a plant gets a bit of sickness, but still produces a good harvest (tomatoes for example) then that’s not necessarily a bad thing. And could continue to contribute good genetics and disease resistance.

By year 3, you can start selecting for taste. Because by that time, the plants are already becoming well adapted to your conditions. But don’t select for uniformity - diverse genetics are a BENEFIT, not a bad thing! You could chose one of two traits to select for, for example, like with beans you might want them to all having the same cooking time but not worry at all about the differences in colour. Or squash, you might want the same kind of taste but not worry at all about the shape.

So why maintain such diversity? Because

1. The population can adapt FAR faster to your conditions
  2. They can keep adapting as your conditions fluctuate year by year as well as to the ongoing climate change trends
  3. They will be protected from genetic depression

There are some finer details of this method, like, what percentage of new genetics to add each year once the landrace has been established and become more stable, and so on. I actually did a course in this method online which just started this year, I’d be happy to tell you more about that if you’re interested. Hopefully you can see why I reached out, I think this method really suits your approach and could benefit so many people in becoming not only independent from the big seed companies but also in making far better adapted landraces of seeds for all of our communities, which I personally feel is really important for these times we find ourselves in.

Best wishes,
Justin

[Justin ]
I didn’t want to include any link in case it made my message go to their junk folder. (I really should have read my email to check for spelling before sending it! :grimacing:)

[Joseph Larsen]
you already sent this email? I ask because i’ve been slowly introducing him to landrace in comments so he probably thinks this is from me

[Joseph Larsen]
although it would have kinda been nice to discuss out the email, it could have been more to the point after watching 20 or so of his videos to know specifically what things would be more interesting to him. Things like - working on a carrot but only saving seeds from ones that don’t get hurt by the carrot fly - if you have enough diversity in the seeds you’re trying then you can save seeds from the few that don’t have carrot fly problems for whatever reason, and then go from there.

[Justin]
Yeah I sent it already. But all the better if he’s hearing about it from multiple angles I’d think. I don’t know if it will even reach him but I figured it’s worth a try, we’re humans on this planet, may as well reach out to each other.

[Emily Sorensen]
I think it’s a great e-mail, and much better because it comes from the heart from one person. Especially since that person lives fairly close, since local adaptation is a large part of the goal.

Ha, I’ve also mentioned landrace in the comments to RED Gardens! His approach to experimentation, data collection, and analysis is one of my favourite things in the gardening youtube world (I must admit I don’t have much patience for a lot of it)

1 Like

David the Good has actually started dabbling in landracing after finding Joseph Lofthouse’s work:

And one of his sons as well:

5 Likes