Seeds for Profit - an interesting documentary to watch

3 Likes

Majority of people here knows this subject well, but a wide audience that eats mostly supermarket food have no clue about it. That’s why I value this documentary, hopefully it will raise interest in healthy, natural food as well as in the landrace gardening.

I remember when I have included a slide on this topic in my presentation for the first time, it was in 2013. The audience called it a bullshit, they were convinced that they buy top quality produce in the supermarkets because it looks perfect and shiny. My answer was to give them a blind test of a supermarket cherry tomato and the one from my garden, followed by the Brix test. If not everyone was convinced, I have at least made them think about it. I talk about always when someone asks “why” (why gardening, why permaculture, why seed saving, etc.).

1 Like

When I lived overseas in another “first world” country I already knew this but when the medical staff there were discussing nutrition and vitamin supplements they were very determined to tell me I should not be taking vitamin supplementation and that I should be getting all the vitamins and nutrients from the food I was eating. This was eye opening to me that this was still the official belief of the system in that country. They did not think that fruit and vegetable food grown today had less nutrients in it than food grown more than half a century ago. I was polite enough to not press it as that was their paradigm view of the world and I was not in to see them for that as it was just general conversation.

But I also understand that today vitamins are mostly synthetically made from the oil/petroleum industry to reduce costs. Natural vitamin C for example at a molecular level has a lot more components than the synthetic vitamin C available for purchase. The synthetic only having the outer acid molecular shell component. I am still supplementing as I still have to eat commercial grown food when away from the home at work and I see the multivitamin I take as better than nothing but still not better than the whole foods it would normally be sourced from in a perfect world.

I’ve started the video and will finish when I have time. So far it’s interesting. The part where they use books in print is worth noting already. Books in print are not affected by search algorithms or delete buttons.

I distrust government data so much now that it’s basically worthless to me. Almost everything is manipulated by corporate money. Even the facts aren’t facts anymore.

How do you really know how much vitamin C the body really needs? Somewhere between scurvy and kidney stones I suppose.

The thing people need most right now is the ability to think independently and critical thinking.

I’ll have to watch that later. Before I forget I want to add that Gabe Brown has talked alot about our food now not actually having the nutrients it did years ago. He said they’ve been pushing and doing work for testing and documentation etc. I’m keen to see what comes of it!

My feelings on it were mixed.

My favorite part: the fact that some seeds – and not just for obscure rare species – are worth literally more than their weight in gold.

My least favorite part: all the time they spend on labor practices. To me this just seemed disconnected to their other criticisms, and it’s not even something necessarily tied to hybrids. You could grow hybrids with impeccable labor practices; you could grow non-hybrids with terrible labor practices.

Most inadvertently entertaining part: listening to the spokesman trying to shift the blame away from the genetics. Folks on this forum may already be aware of julia.dakin’s research showing that in comparison soil conditions/growing practices almost don’t matter for nutrition (barring truly extreme situations).

2 Likes

Well, it was clear to me that it shows that top market seeds are being produced with exploitation and child labor, bringing profits (in title) to monopolist companies. By buying such seeds you one supports and finances such practices. It is not only on seeds or hybrids, it is also on unethical practices.

2 Likes