Going to Seed Podcast moving to Zero Input Agriculture- AMA for the first episode

After a wonderful year podcasting with Going to Seed I have decided to make the big step and go solo, linking my podcasting efforts talking to amateur crop breeders around the world to my growing substack (zeroinputagriculture.substack.com).

My first episode will be me interviewing myself to kick things off and I would love to answer any questions from the audience, so let me know your burning questions in the comments below.

3 Likes

Will this only be through substack or will the episodes also be on spotify, youtube, or any other platform?

What an interesting fist interview! If it’s on youtube I’m watching it, send the link when it’s out!

Here are the questions!

1. Where did you come up with the name “Zero Input Agriculture”, what do you exactly mean by that? Obviously there’s gotta be some kind of input at first to get the self-sustaining system going.

2. What kinds of Soil Improvements/Permaculture practices do you do? Or are you only doing seed genetic improvement to environment side of the equation. Can we landrace our crops out of any horrible soil condtions, or is it not worth investing the energy to improve soil.

3. What are you plans for Araucaria (Monkey Puzzle Tree/Bunya Pine) Breeding efforts? Have you investigated any techniques to speed up fruit production form seed? Techniques such as
    a) Summer Pruning Vs Winter Pruning to see how it shifts the hormonal balance into fruit producing mode. Plus pruning may open up branches to more sunlight which may yield more flowers thus more fruit.
    b) Grafting Araucaria? How does that work? What about rooting from cuttings?
    c) How does Araucaria form flower buds? On new years growth or 2nd Year old growth?
    d) What are you breeding goals for improving Araucaria? Bigger seeds? More Cones per Tree? Less sharp leaves to get cut less? Cold Hardiness?

4. How do you plan to improve African Hornmelon/Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus).
    Will C. melo crosses be involved. Or is the crop destined to be a novelty & maybe make good juices?

5. How is your sword Bean (Canavalia spp.) Breeding project going? How do you eat them as Immature Seedpod & as a Legume bean (Cooking times to render them safe to eat). Are the leaves & flowers also edible?

6. Out of all the crops you have grown, which have become the most reliable? Do you ever plan on living off of everything you grow without access to a grocery store? Which things should we consider to make it feasible, calories, fats, protiens, nutrients, root crops, grains, legumes, ect?

7. How much Wild foraging do you incorportate towards your goals of Zero Input Agriculture? Foraging is as zero input as it gets, all it requires is harvest & processing. Are there any crops you can let go wild so they can become a “Wild Edibles” on your property?

8. Any thoughts on making an international plant breeding group? Like going to seed but international? It sounds like a Logistical nightmare!

9. How is your Brassica nigra x Brassica oleracea to recreate Brassica carnitata? How do you plant to eliminate the spicyness of B. nigra? Is white mustard (Sinapis alba) going to be involved in the crosses too? It should be cross compatible.

10. How do you eat & grow Egusi Watermelons (Citrullus lanatus subsp. mucosospermus)? Can you eat the flesh like regular watermelons, what does the flesh taste? How are the seeds? Are they easy to clean?

2 Likes