Testing Discord software for community chat and meetings

This thread is a discussion and support thread for forum members who are trying out Discord.

The quickest way to access the Going to Seed Discord Server on a PC or laptop browser is via this link: Adaptation Gardening

In order to ensure access from the majority of devices, you can install the Discord app:

• Visit the Discord site at https://discord.com/ and create a user account
  • For PCs, laptops, desktop computers, etc, download the Discord app from that website. For Apple or Android smartphones and tablets, search for Discord on your platformā€™s App directory
  • Add the Adaptation Gardening server by pressing the ā€œPlusā€ button (+) and then pasting the server link ā€œAdaptation Gardeningā€ or just the server code ā€œcr3z6hyPā€

Discordā€™s channels are like virtual ā€œmeeting roomsā€ . These virtual spaces can be used for formal meetings and presentations and also still be there 24/7 for everyone to use.

If you have never used Discord before, it can be accessed directly in the web browser via that link. There are Discord apps for various types of devices. (Because I use Discord at least a couple of days per week, I personally use the Windows app version, which works better than the web browser version for me.)

We have identified some features which might be useful:

• ā€œStage Channelsā€ for facilitated audiovisual presentations for an audience of up to 50 people.
  • Simpler unfacilitated ā€œGo Live and Screen Shareā€ video presentations with unlimited viewers and voice discussion.
  • Watch Together: watch the same videos at the same time and talk amongst each other as you watch.
  • Voice-only discussion channels with unlimited participants.
  • Video chat with up to 25 participants.

Discord link: Adaptation Gardening

This is the official ā€œGetting Startedā€ guide: https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033931551-Getting-Started

5 Likes

In the discussion where this idea emerged, I suggested an outline for trying Discord. This thread is part of that flow:
I can think of three steps to help GTS to evaluate using Discord:

1. Establish a free Discord server account and make basic configuration steps, set up some channels and rooms for GTS conversation.
  2. Start a separate thread here in the forum about Discord to discuss its use, share the server login link, and where GTS members could post if they are having issues or questions about using Discord.
  3. Plan a small ā€˜test meetingā€™ for a few of us to try out the meeting functions together. Then help facilitate a public monthly meeting, maybe at the beginning of April.

LOVE IT already. I like the meeting rooms.

I propose a Going to Seed Happy Hour at GMT -7 tomorrow/Thursday/4/14 (for me 4 pm PDT) in meeting room A.

We can have a drink and talk about stuff (but hopefully not how moderators should be banned for deleting obscenities :slight_smile:

1 Like

Watch Together FAQ
https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409342945687-Watch-Together-FAQ

You can also get a bot for it.

Speaking of bots if you put any on the server usually I have a text channel in my servers such as #botspam or similar and then redirect all the chatty bots out thereā€™s output to that channel so it doesnā€™t clog up the regular text channels.

1 Like

4pm pacific time isā€¦ 7pm hereā€¦ Sounds good to me!

I think itā€™s 10am Friday here. Not sure. I get confused. Anyway, Iā€™ll try at that time and see what happens.
Edit: Perhaps not. I canā€™t get either of the links above to work. Is there another way to access it?

Just installed Discord on my phone. Seels Ok.
Iā€™ll figure out if I can participate to the call, but as I am waiking up at 5am this morning and that the call it will be at 1am in hereā€¦ I donā€™t think I will not be able to make it!
Not a problem though, there will be othersā€¦

ā€œunable to accept inviteā€
Any solutions?

Have you create an discord account? And confirmed the email?

Mmm, so it is 01:00 of 15-04-2024 for me.

If I do not fall asleep or wake up I will try to attend.

Maybe a zombie will participate.

Create a discord account like here: https://discord.com/

You can access through browser, from pc program, phone app.

When logged just add the new server (plus button) with copy and past this link ā€œAdaptation Gardeningā€

Or just put this code ā€œcr3z6hyPā€

1 Like

Anyway this is just a test, somebody should propose an earlier time ideally a weekend for us :slight_smile:

Gregg, I had the same issue. Eventually I tried just copying the link provided, then going into the Discord app, tapping the + sign on the left, tapping on join server at the bottom then pasting in the copied link. That seemed to work for me.

2 Likes

Ah ha, sorry, didnā€™t realise i needed an account first, didnā€™t see it in the instructions above. Thought i just had to click on the link.

Now working, 3 hours too late :slight_smile:
gm

Had a quick look around - I donā€™t have the brain space to learn a whole new set of protocols and commands and navigation just to have a few chats to people, when i can do that on FB or zoom. Also worried that discussions on discord will dilute the forum, or end up with me having to log into two places to find out whatā€™s going on - I miss enough stuff as it is. My crusty old boomer opinion, so probably worthless :).

1 Like

I apologize for this, I had not considered that some people interested in trying Discord would be using devices where which would need to install the app, or manually paste the server code. But I should have expected it.

I hate to leave someone ā€˜locked out of the meetingā€™, so to speak. Thank you for being patient.

edit: I have edited what Richard wrote a little bit and added it to the first post. Hopefully that will prevent this from happening again.

2 Likes

Can you explain why Discord is useful/necessary in a way that discourse isnā€™t? It isnā€™t immediately obvious to me. Thanks!

1 Like

I had a thoroughly enjoyable happy hour, and in the spirit of testing I am thinking of recreating it here next week/next test. @markwkidd what about having meeting rooms C, D, E here too (topics or categories) , have a 2nd, open zoom account that anyone can jump into, anybody can host meetings whenever they want, just ideally not at the same time.

Anyway, my topic next Thursday will be a continuation of yesterday-- open sourcing, +engagement, increasing transparency of GTS but at 21.00 GMT (2 pm instead of 4pm PDT) and maybe Iā€™ll create a category or topic closer to the date.

1 Like

Discord! Awesome. I already spend a lot of time there with other communities. Excited to see this develop.